The Office of Academic Planning and Assessment provides several tools for faculty and staff to help in creating and updating assessment plans for both academic and non-academic units across campus. Visit the links below to help guide you, but do not hesitate to contact our office for personalized training or assistance.
- Read about our journey to becoming an Excellence in Assessment Designee:
- Visit our YouTube channel where you will find the following helpful training videos:
- Print Resources:
Are you interested in assessment research, conferences, and general information outside of SHSU? Access the below document for a list of organizations, journals, assessment institutes, online resources, and email listservs.
Anthology Planning Assessment Software Training
Summer 2022 Schedule
Register in Talent Management through your MySam account. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
|Tuesday||June 7||10:00 am - 11:30 am||Zoom|
|Wednesday||July 13||1:30 pm - 3:00 pm||Zoom|
|Thursday||August 4||10:00 am - 11:30 am||Zoom|
Office of Academic Planning and Assessment staff have also delivered a number of assessment-related scholarly and professional presentations. Please visit the links below for more information about both assessment best practices and assessment activities at SHSU.
Core Learning/General Education
- Building Global Citizens: One Institution's Plan to use Multiple Measures to Assess Social Responsibility, Intercultural Knowledge, and Civic Engagement
- (Re)Building Credibility: One University's Journey into Writing Assessment
- Sam Houston State University's Plan for Assessing its Core Curriculum and the THECB's Six Core Learning Objectives
- Relationship Between Student Writing Ability and Student Characteristics at One Texas 4-Year University
- Differences in Student Writing Ability as a Function of Student Characteristics at One Texas 4-Year University
- Moving Beyond Means: Exploring How One University is Using Writing Data to Improve Performance
- Assessing Teamwork Using Student Self-Reflections: Efforts to Design and Pilot a Locally Developed Instrument
- Expanding the Use of an Existing Course/Program-level Critical Thinking Assessment to the Institutional Level
- Assessing Teamwork Using Student Self-Reflections: Evolution of a Locally Developed Instrument
- Slaying Assessment Dragons: Assessing Teamwork Using the Teamwork Self-Reflection Instrument (TSRI)
- Assessing Student Critical Thinking, Metacognition, and Intellectual Humility Using a Locally Developed Instrument
- Promoting the Scholarship of Assessment at Sam Houston State University through Mini-Grants
- How do we Assess the Assessment? Developing and Implementing a Process for Formal Meta-assessment
- The Development and Evolution of Assessment Review Processes at Two Texas Institutions
- Student Support Services Assessment: Moving Beyond Headcounts
- Supporting Faculty Engagement in Ongoing and Innovative Assessment Practices Through Assessment Mini-Grants
- Promoting Faculty Engagement in Ongoing and Innovative Assessment Practices Through a Culture of Assessment
- Promoting Quality and Effective Assessment Practices Through Meta-Assessment
Online Assessment Tracking Database (OATDB) Archive
Sam Houston State University (SHSU) documents assessment information in the campus's online assessment management system. From 2006-2007 through the 2014-2015 assessment cycle, SHSU used the Online Assessment Tracking Database (OATDB), a locally-developed assessment management system, to document each unit's assessment plans. This site serves as an archive of the assessment plans for those years: OATDB Archive.