The Office of Academic Planning and Assessment provides several tools for faculty and staff to help in creating and updating assessment plans for both academic and non-academic units across campus. Visit the links below to help guide you, but do not hesitate to contact our office for personalized training or assistance.
- Read about our journey to becoming an Excellence in Assessment Designee:
- Visit our YouTube channel where you will find the following helpful training videos:
- Print Resources:
Are you interested in assessment research, conferences, and general information outside of SHSU? Access the below document for a list of organizations, journals, assessment institutes, online resources, and email listservs.
Anthology Planning Assessment Software Training
Fall 2021 Schedule
Please RSVP to email@example.com in order to receive a Zoom meeting invitation.
|Tuesday||September 21||9:00 am - 10:30 am||Zoom|
|Wednesday||October 13||1:00 pm - 2:30 pm||Zoom|
|Thursday||November 11||9:00 am - 10:30 am||Zoom|
Office of Academic Planning and Assessment staff have also delivered a number of assessment-related scholarly and professional presentations. Please visit the links below for more information about both assessment best practices and assessment activities at SHSU.
Core Learning/General Education
- Building Global Citizens: One Institution's Plan to use Multiple Measures to Assess Social Responsibility, Intercultural Knowledge, and Civic Engagement
- (Re)Building Credibility: One University's Journey into Writing Assessment
- Sam Houston State University's Plan for Assessing its Core Curriculum and the THECB's Six Core Learning Objectives
- Relationship Between Student Writing Ability and Student Characteristics at One Texas 4-Year University
- Differences in Student Writing Ability as a Function of Student Characteristics at One Texas 4-Year University
- Moving Beyond Means: Exploring How One University is Using Writing Data to Improve Performance
- Assessing Teamwork Using Student Self-Reflections: Efforts to Design and Pilot a Locally Developed Instrument
- Expanding the Use of an Existing Course/Program-level Critical Thinking Assessment to the Institutional Level
- Assessing Teamwork Using Student Self-Reflections: Evolution of a Locally Developed Instrument
- Slaying Assessment Dragons: Assessing Teamwork Using the Teamwork Self-Reflection Instrument (TSRI)
- Assessing Student Critical Thinking, Metacognition, and Intellectual Humility Using a Locally Developed Instrument
- Promoting the Scholarship of Assessment at Sam Houston State University through Mini-Grants
- How do we Assess the Assessment? Developing and Implementing a Process for Formal Meta-assessment
- The Development and Evolution of Assessment Review Processes at Two Texas Institutions
- Student Support Services Assessment: Moving Beyond Headcounts
- Supporting Faculty Engagement in Ongoing and Innovative Assessment Practices Through Assessment Mini-Grants
- Promoting Faculty Engagement in Ongoing and Innovative Assessment Practices Through a Culture of Assessment
Online Assessment Tracking Database (OATDB) Archive
Sam Houston State University (SHSU) documents assessment information in the campus's online assessment management system. From 2006-2007 through the 2014-2015 assessment cycle, SHSU used the Online Assessment Tracking Database (OATDB), a locally-developed assessment management system, to document each unit's assessment plans. This site serves as an archive of the assessment plans for those years: OATDB Archive.