Core Curriculum 2014
2014 Core Curriculum Project
UPDATE: April, 2014, SHSU's 2014 Core Curriculum has been approved by the THECB.
In its January 2009 report to the Coordinating Board, Designing Texas Undergraduate Education in the 21st Century, the Undergraduate Education Advisory Committee (UEAC) suggested that the statewide general education core curriculum be reconsidered. Following a comprehensive review and report of the UEAC, the THECB staff proposed core revisions that took into account many of the UEAC's recommendations. In October 2011, the THECB approved a revised Core Curriculum to be implemented in Fall 2014. For additional background information, please visit the THECB's Texas Core Curriculum website.
In March 2012, Provost Jaimie Hebert appointed an ad-hoc Core Curriculum Committee to review and make recommendations for SHSU's Fall 2014 revised core curriculum. The Committee will meet regularly throughout the process and will solicit feedback and recommendations from the academic community. Due to the nature and magnitude of changes within the THECB's Fall 2014 Texas Core Curriculum, SHSU will require proposals for ALL courses to be considered in the revised Core.
- May 1, 2012 - Online Survey (Survey Results)
- May 9 & 10, 2012 - Town hall Meetings
- 3:00 pm / CHSS 120
- June 18 & 19, 2012 - Town hall Meetings
- 2:30 pm / CHSS 120
- August Town Hall Meetings - TBA
- September 4 & 5, 2012 - Town hall Meeting
- September 17, 2012* - Requests for new courses due to Provost**
- October 22, 2012 - Course Proposals Due to Core Curriculum Committee
- April 2013 - Core Proposals to Academic Affairs Council
- October 2013 - Core Proposals to Board of Regents
- November 2013 - Core Proposals to THECB
- August 2014 - Revised Core in Place
* Deadline may be extended in exceptional cases.
** Courses new to the University's inventory of courses; not be be confused with existing courses being proposed for the core curriculum. New courses will be reviewed by the Core Committee and the University Curriculum Committee simultaneously.
- Course Application Resources
- Committee Information
- Core Curriculum Details
- SHSU's 2014 Core Curriculum (Approved by THECB)
- 2014 Core Curriculum Hour Distribution
- SHSU's Existing Core Curriculum
- Fall 2014 Elements of the Core Curriculum (THECB)
- Fall 2014 Core Curriculum FAQ (THECB)
- THECB Webinar Presentation - Overview of the 2014 Core Curriculum (April, 2012)
- THECB Webinar Presentation - Implementing the 2014 Core Curriculum (April, 2012)
- THECB Webinar Presentation - Assessing the 2014 Core Curriculum (April, 2012)
- SHSU Core Survey Results