COSET Graduate Achievement Scholarship
Academic Year 2019-2020
The College of Science and Engineering Technology (COSET) Graduate Achievement Scholarship is a $1000 competitive scholarship awarded to students demonstrating outstanding academic progress in a COSET master’s program.
To be considered for the COSET Graduate Achievement Scholarship, a student must be enrolled full-time in a master’s program in the College of Science and Engineering Technology and have an SHSU graduate GPA. Students in their first year of a COSET graduate program who have been awarded a graduate assistantship are not eligible for the scholarship.
Complete applications require:
- a personal statement from the applicant describing their academic progress toward the degree, including planned graduation date, and progress on the thesis or capstone project (where applicable), and
- a letter of evaluation from the applicant’s major advisor or graduate program coordinator describing the applicant’s progress toward the degree and overall performance in the graduate program.
Applicants must email their personal statement to Anne Gaillard (email@example.com) with Graduate Achievement Scholarship in the subject line by 5:00 pm on the day of the deadline.
The letter of evaluation must be emailed directly from the applicant’s major advisor or graduate program coordinator to Anne Gaillard (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5:00 pm on the day of the deadline.
The application deadline for the Fall scholarship is July 1st, and the application deadline for the Spring scholarship is December 1st.
COSET Graduate Recruitment Scholarship
The College of Science and Engineering Technology (COSET) Graduate Recruitment Scholarship is a $1000 competitive scholarship awarded to outstanding students entering their first semester of a COSET master’s program at SHSU and who have not been awarded a graduate assistantship.
To be considered for the COSET Graduate Recruitment Scholarship, a student must be accepted into a master’s program in the College of Science and Engineering Technology, be entering their first semester in the program, and plan to be a full-time student. Nominations for the scholarship will be accepted from SHSU faculty, or students may self-nominate. An international student applying for the scholarship must have a transcript evaluation on file with the COSET Dean’s office (transcript evaluations by qualified SHSU faculty are acceptable). Applicants will be evaluated by their cumulative GPA and GRE scores.
An application can be found here, and applications must be scanned and emailed to Ms. Shellie Armstrong at email@example.com by 5:00 pm on the day of the deadline. Paper applications will not be accepted.
The application deadline for the Fall scholarship is July 15th, and the application deadline for the Spring scholarship is November 15th.
COSET Undergraduate Research Awards 2019
The College of Science and Engineering Technology would like to announce undergraduate research funding opportunities for spring and summer 2019. These awards have been modeled after the EURECA summer FAST grant, with some modifications. The spring 2019 funding opportunity has an application deadline of February 1, 2019, while the summer 2019 funding opportunity has an application deadline of April 5, 2019.
All faculty are eligible to apply for the COSET Undergraduate Research Awards 2019. Full-time undergraduate students enrolled at SHSU during the spring semester of 2019 are eligible to be team members. Faculty mentors may submit only one proposal. At least three proposals are expected to be funded.
Faculty who have applied for a summer 2019 EURECA FAST grant are ineligible for the spring 2019 COSET award, but are encouraged to apply for the summer 2019 COSET award (if not funded by EURECA).
Note – All Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) protocols must be completed before funds will be distributed. IRB and IACUC guidelines are available on the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs website at http://www.shsu.edu/dept/office-of-research-and-sponsored-programs/.
Each student team member (up to two student team members maximum) will receive $2000 for participating in the project. Up to $500 per proposal is also available to fund student research supplies and travel. Funding is not available for faculty stipends. Funding must be spent no later than August 30, 2019.
Awards to conduct research projects will be granted by a competitive selection process. The COSET Undergraduate Research Awards Committee, an interdisciplinary committee comprised of faculty from each COSET department, will evaluate and prioritize proposals for funding based on the following criteria:
- design and feasibility of the project’s plan.
- significance of the expected results to the faculty member’s discipline.
- potential contributions the project will make to the students’ future studies and/or future careers.
- level and type of student involvement in the project. Outstanding proposals will have clearly delineated roles for each student member of the team, will strongly emphasize what the student team members will gain from this experience, and will clearly outline which aspects of the project each team member can lay claim to as their contribution
For the spring 2019 award, faculty members will be notified of a decision no later than February 15, 2019. For the summer 2019, faculty member will be notified of a decision no later than May 1, 2019.
Each awarded research team is required to submit a final report to COSET that includes:
- a one-page PDF document written by the faculty mentor(s) that briefly describes the progress and findings/results of their funded project
- a one page reflection report from each student member outlining his or her role in the project and the project’s impact on his or her professional development
The final report is due by October 15, 2019. Failure to submit the report by the deadline may result in the faculty member and students being ineligible for future COSET research funding.
In addition, student researchers are strongly encouraged to present the findings of their research at the SHSU Undergraduate Research Symposium, as well as at state, national, or international conferences.
Completed applications are due by 5:00 pm on the day of the deadline, and must include the following:
- A cover page (attached; can also be obtained by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A two-page proposal, written in an interdisciplinary style, that:
- describes the project’s objectives, methods/approach to be used, and expected outcomes for the project
- describes any follow-up activities to be completed in the fall (2019) and spring (2020) semesters
- indicates whether this is a new project, or part of an ongoing project
- explains the significance of the expected results
- uses a font no smaller than 11-pt and has 1” margins
- A works cited page (as needed) (does not count toward the two-page limit)
- Student information forms for each student team member (attached; can also be obtained by emailing email@example.com)
- Budget form (as needed) (attached; can also be obtained by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A statement of interest written by each student team member (<200 words)
These documents must be merged into a single PDF file and sent by email to Anne Gaillard (email@example.com) with COSET Undergraduate Research Awards 2019 in the subject line by 5:00 pm on the day of the application deadline.