Steps to Apply
- Graduate Admissions Application
- Application Fee
- Apply to the School Librarian Preparation Program if seeking Texas School Librarian certification (Instructions)
- Pay the $35 Texas Education Accountability System for Educator Preparation Programs Fee (paid to the TEA as required by TAC 229.9.7) if seeking Texas School Librarian certification
- Official transcript from the baccalaureate degree granting institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. If GPA is lower than a 3.0 the last 60 hours of education can be used. GRE® revised General Test Score Bands to be used for Admission to an Educator Preparation Program under the 10% Exception Rule in 19 TAC §227.10(a)(3)(B) Self-reported Undergraduate GPA GRE Verbal Reasoning1 GRE Quantitative Reasoning1 GRE Analytical Writing2 B- (2.7 GPA) 143 – 157 140 – 155 3.0 – 4.5 1 GRE Verbal and Quantitative scores are reported on a 130 to 170 scale. 2 GRE Analytical Writing scores are reported on a 0 to 6 scale in half-point increments. Under these circumstances, the GRE may not be waived.
- Official transcript from the master degree granting institution.
- Copy of valid teacher certificate
- Copy of official service record for each year of classroom service
Fall - June 15
Spring - October 15
Summer - March 15
The online School Librarian Certification program is designed for students who have previously obtained a master's degree and are seeking to become a librarian at PK-12 school level.
This program will introduce students to cataloging, classification, and subject analysis techniques; policies for school library administration; and principles for selecting recreational yet informative materials for young adults and children.
Certification as a School Librarian requires a valid K-12 teaching certificate and two years of classroom teaching experience.
This program is only for Texas residents.
Students who do not hold a master's degree should seek the certification in combination with the Master of Library Science.
Dr. Holly Weimar
Ms. Rebecca Lewis