Steps to Apply
- Graduate Admissions Application
- Application Fee
- Pay the $35 Texas Education Accountability System for Educator Preparation Programs Fee (paid to the TEA as required by TAC 229.9.7) if seeking Texas School Librarian certification
- Official transcript from the baccalaureate degree granting institution and master degree granting institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. If GPA is lower than a 3.0 the last 60 hours of education can be used.
- Copy of valid teacher certificate
- Copy of official service record for each year of classroom service
- Prepare writing sample
Applications received early (Fall - June 15, Spring - October 15, Summer - March 15) will be given preference. All applications are due by the dates below.
Fall: July 15
Spring: November 15
Summer: April 15
The online School Librarian Certification program is designed for students who have previously obtained a master's degree and are seeking to become a librarian at PK-12 school level.
This program will introduce students to cataloging, classification, and subject analysis techniques; policies for school library administration; and principles for selecting recreational yet informative materials for young adults and children.
Certification as a School Librarian requires a valid K-12 teaching certificate and two years of classroom teaching experience.
This program is only for Texas residents.
Students who do not hold a master's degree should seek the certification in combination with the Master of Library Science.
Dr. Karin Perry
Ms. Rebecca Lewis
Ms. Ashley Volkmer Picket
TEA Graduate Coordinator