Steps to Apply
- Graduate Admissions Application
- Application Fee
- Apply to the School Librarian Preparation Program if seeking Texas School Librarian certification (Instructions)
- Pay the $35 Texas Education Accountability System for Educator Preparation Programs Fee (paid to the TEA as required by TAC 229.9.7) if seeking Texas School Librarian certification
- Official transcript from the baccalaureate degree granting institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. If GPA is lower than a 3.0 the last 60 hours of education can be used.
- Copy of valid Texas teacher certificate
- Copy of official service record for each year of classroom service
Fall - June 15
Spring - October 15
Summer - March 15
The Master of Library Science is a 36-credit program designed to prepare competent professionals for school librarianship; encourage and support scholarly research and publications; promote and participate in faculty growth and development; offer educational services to schools, libraries, and the community; and plan, implement, and evaluate the academic curriculum, teaching effectiveness, physical resources, program policies, and the learning environment.
As part of the program, graduate students are expected to complete an internship. In lieu of comprehensive examination, students complete a Portfolio, a competency that must be completed in order to meet the requirements for the Master of Library Science degree.
Graduates of the MLS program that are in Texas will also have the required coursework necessary to sit for the School Librarian Certification exam. Students interested in the certification must have a valid PK-12 Texas teaching certificate and two years of classroom experience before taking the exam.
This program is only for Texas residents.
If you already have a master's degree and are seeking to become a school librarian, we offer a 24-credit The School Librarian Certification.
Dr. Holly Weimar
Ms. Rebecca Lewis