Sam Houston Honors Scholarship
Incoming freshmen will be given the opportunity to receive the Sam Houston Honors Scholarship. For those who qualify, this competitive Sam Houston Honors Scholarship (distributed over a SHSU undergraduate college career no longer than four years, at a maximum of $18,500) will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Incoming freshmen who meet the requirements are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
In order to qualify, students must:
- Be an incoming freshman to SHSU.
- Have completed the application to the Honors College and have been accepted.
- Have a 1350 SAT score an/or a 30 ACT score.
Once the scholarship recipient is awarded, the student will be expected to remain in good standing by completing the following:
- Enrolling in the Honors Freshman Learning Community (FLC) course and residing in Honors designated housing in Piney Woods Hall.
- Being Honors advised each semester after being advised by the SAM Center and/or department advisor.
- Completing a minimum of 12 semester credit hours (in face-to-face courses) during a regular semester with no less than a 3.25 GPA. Repeats of courses previously attempted are not counted as part of the 12 semester credit hour minimum.
- Maintaining “sufficient academic progress” toward graduating “With Honors” as defined by the Honors Council.
- Attending three qualifying honors events per year.
- Conducting him or herself in a professional manner as befits an Honors student.
Scholarship Disbursement Plan:
The scholarship will be awarded per Academic Year (eight fall and spring semesters only) as follows:
Freshman year: $4,000
Sophomore year: $4,500
Junior year: $5,000
Senior year: $5,000
If the student graduates in fewer than eight semesters, the student will forfeit any remaining scholarship funds.
To apply, please fill out the Honors College application.*
*Students qualifying for the Sam Houston Honors Scholarship will be notified once their completed application has been received.
Selection as a Terry Scholar includes a generous scholarship award that covers six to eight full semesters of tuition, books, and expected on-campus living expenses at SHSU. Terry Scholars also benefit from specialized mentoring, as well as outstanding opportunities for personal and professional development through service activities. Terry Scholar candidates are recommended to the Foundation by SHSU and must attend a personal interview with the Terry Foundation Scholarship Selection Committee. The Terry Foundation selects the scholarship recipients from among the candidates who are recommended for interview. In keeping with the Foundation's desire for Terry Scholars who are "well rounded" and "hard working", applicants will be evaluated with respect to three evenly-weighted criteria:
- Record of academic performance, as evidenced by grades, class rank, and ACT or SAT scores
- Demonstrated leadership skills, especially within one's school and local community
- Financial need
Richard A. Cording Scholars Endowed Scholarship
Amount varies. Recipient must be an incoming full-time freshman student, majoring in any discipline, and be accepted as a member of the Elliott T. Bowers Honors Program.
Assam Scholarship in Honors Research
$500 per year. Recipient must be on Status One in the Honors College, in good standing and majoring in any discipline; submit a research paper or a poster to the Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium; and continue at SHSU at least one summer session or one long semester after the scholarship award is announced. If the recipient is graduating at the end of the semester the full $500 may be awarded. GPA of 3.25 is required.
Yancey M. Holmes Endowed Scholarship
$1,000 per semester for eight consecutive regular semesters while pursuing a Baccalaureate Degree. The recipient must be an incoming freshman majoring in any discipline, and accepted for admission into the Elliott T. Bowers Honors College. The recipient must maintain enrollment in the Elliott T. Bowers Honors College, and must maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.25 during both semesters of their freshman year and maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.4 thereafter (sophomore, junior, senior years). Application deadline is February 1st.
Rosser Family Endowed Scholarship
$3000 per year. The Recipient must be first-time incoming freshman in good standing; major in any discipline within the College of Business or the College of Education; be accepted to the Elliott T. Bowers Honors College; have a minimum high school cumulative GPA of at least 3.40; have an SAT1 composite score of 1200 or above and/or an ACT composite of at least 27; or must have graduated in the top 10% of their high school class. The recipient must maintain enrollment in the Elliott T. Bowers Honors College and must maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.25 during both semesters of their freshman year and maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.4 thereafter (sophomore, junior, senior years).
- Andrew W. Mellon Fellowships
- Barry M. Goldwater Scholarships
- British Marshall Scholarships
- Harry S. Truman Scholarships
- Henry Luce Foundation Scholarships
- J. William Fulbright Grants
- James Madison Memorial Fellowships
- Morris K. Udall Scholarships
- National Security Education Program
- Rhodes Scholarships
- Other National Scholarships
Important Scholarship Deadlines
- Complete the ApplyTexas Application online.
- Complete the Honors College application.
- Contact your prospective academic department to learn about its scholarship opportunities and application procedures.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to assist in the consideration process. (Most institutional scholarships are merit-based, but some also consider socioeconomic disadvantages or financial need, as assessed by the FAFSA.)
- Complete the SHSU Scholarships4Kats online.
To be considered for the full range of scholarships offered through the SHSU Office of Student Aid Financial Services, students MUST complete the FAFSA. The FAFSA is available beginning October 1, 2017 and the priority deadline for all students is February 1.
Related Scholarships & Financial Aid Links
The Elliott T. Bowers Honors College
Academic Building IV Suite 201 | Box 2479 | Huntsville, Texas 77341-2479
Phone: (936) 294.1477 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org