Sam Houston Honors Scholarship
Beginning during the Fall 2018 semester, incoming freshmen will be given the opportunity to receive the Sam Houston Honors Scholarship. Incoming freshmen are encouraged to apply as soon as possible seeing as the scholarship will be available on a first-come first-serve basis. The scholarship award totals to $17,000 and will only be awarded to no more than 50 students. This award will be distributed to the student over the course of four full-time academic years at SHSU.
In order to qualify, students must:
- Be an incoming freshmen to SHSU.
- Have completed the application to the Honors College and have been accepted.
- Have a 1350 SAT score OR a 30 ACT score.
Once the scholarship recipient is awarded, s/he will be expected to remain in good standing with the Honors College. This includes being advised prior to the start of each semester, being a full-time student enrolled in at least 12 hours of face-to-face classes, maintaining not less than a 3.25 GPA, demonstrating sufficient academic progress towards graduating "With Honors", attending 3 qualifying Honors events per year, and conducting him or herself in a professional manner.
To apply, please fill out the Honors College application.*
*Students qualifying for the Sam Houston Honors Scholarship will be notified once their application has been received as complete.
Selection as a Terry Scholar includes a generous scholarship award that covers six to eight full semesters of tuition, books, and expected on-campus living expenses at SHSU. Terry Scholars also benefit from specialized mentoring, as well as outstanding opportunities for personal and professional development through service activities. Terry Scholar candidates are recommended to the Foundation by SHSU and must attend a personal interview with the Terry Foundation Scholarship Selection Committee. The Terry Foundation selects the scholarship recipients from among the candidates who are recommended for interview. In keeping with the Foundation's desire for Terry Scholars who are "well rounded" and "hard working", applicants will be evaluated with respect to three evenly-weighted criteria:
- Record of academic performance, as evidenced by grades, class rank, and ACT or SAT scores
- Demonstrated leadership skills, especially within one's school and local community
- Financial need
Richard A. Cording Scholars Endowed Scholarship
Amount varies. Recipient must be an incoming full-time freshman student, majoring in any discipline, and be accepted as a member of the Elliott T. Bowers Honors Program.
Assam Scholarship in Honors Research
$500 per year. Recipient must be on Status One in the Honors College, in good standing and majoring in any discipline; submit a research paper or a poster to the Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium; and continue at SHSU at least one summer session or one long semester after the scholarship award is announced. If the recipient is graduating at the end of the semester the full $500 may be awarded. GPA of 3.25 is required.
Yancey M. Holmes Endowed Scholarship
$1,000 per semester for eight consecutive regular semesters while pursuing a Baccalaureate Degree. The recipient must be an incoming freshman majoring in any discipline, and accepted for admission into the Elliott T. Bowers Honors College. The recipient must maintain enrollment in the Elliott T. Bowers Honors College, and must maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.25 during both semesters of their freshman year and maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.4 thereafter (sophomore, junior, senior years). Application deadline is February 1st.
Rosser Family Endowed Scholarship
$3000 per year. The Recipient must be first-time incoming freshman in good standing; major in any discipline within the College of Business or the College of Education; be accepted to the Elliott T. Bowers Honors College; have a minimum high school cumulative GPA of at least 3.40; have an SAT1 composite score of 1200 or above and/or an ACT composite of at least 27; or must have graduated in the top 10% of their high school class. The recipient must maintain enrollment in the Elliott T. Bowers Honors College and must maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.25 during both semesters of their freshman year and maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.4 thereafter (sophomore, junior, senior years).
- Andrew W. Mellon Fellowships
- Barry M. Goldwater Scholarships
- British Marshall Scholarships
- Harry S. Truman Scholarships
- Henry Luce Foundation Scholarships
- J. William Fulbright Grants
- James Madison Memorial Fellowships
- Morris K. Udall Scholarships
- National Security Education Program
- Rhodes Scholarships
- Other National Scholarships
Important Scholarship Deadlines
- Complete the ApplyTexas Application online.
- Complete the Honors College application.
- Contact your prospective academic department to learn about its scholarship opportunities and application procedures.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to assist in the consideration process. (Most institutional scholarships are merit-based, but some also consider socioeconomic disadvantages or financial need, as assessed by the FAFSA.)
- Complete the SHSU Scholarships4Kats online.
To be considered for the full range of scholarships offered through the SHSU Office of Student Aid Financial Services, students MUST complete the FAFSA. The FAFSA is available beginning October 1, 2017 and the priority deadline for all students is February 1.
Related Scholarships & Financial Aid Links
The Elliott T. Bowers Honors College
Academic Building IV Suite 201 | Box 2479 | Huntsville, Texas 77341-2479
Phone: (936) 294.1477 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org