Honors College Scholarships
The Honors College mission is to offer a unique and intellectual academic environment that emphasizes undergraduate research and personal growth.
The Elliott T. Bowers Honors College offers several scholarships to incoming Honors freshmen every fall semester, including The Elliott T. Bowers Scholarship (two per year) and the Honors Scholarship (23 per year). These competitive scholarships are selected from the qualified applicant pool on a first-come, first serve basis by the January 1st deadline. Therefore, incoming freshmen are encouraged to apply to the Honors College as soon as possible and to take either the SAT or ACT test. To be considered for a scholarship, students must be first accepted into the Honors College.
What is the Honors Scholarship?
The Honors Scholarship is distributed over an SHSU undergraduate college career no longer than four years at a maximum of $40,000. The scholarship is generously funded by The Division of Enrollment Success and was created to attract truly outstanding freshman to Sam Houston State University and the Honors College. This scholarship is intended to help defray the costs of attending college. Honors Scholars must follow a self-designed track of excellence in research, community service, teaching, or leadership.
What is the Elliott T. Bowers Honors Scholarship?
The Bowers Scholarship, distributed over an SHSU undergraduate college career no longer than four years, at a maximum of $80,000, was designed, in part, to bring “exceptionally motivated and capable students” into an academic and social environment with like-minded peers, while providing them with additional means of interaction with faculty and enhanced educational opportunities. The scholarship is intended to help defray the costs of attending college to facilitate this unique opportunity for recipients. Bowers Scholars must complete an Honors Thesis their senior year (thereby graduating “With Highest Honors”). The Bowers Scholarship Fund was established in 1989 to honor Dr. Elliott T. Bowers (1919-2003), who served as the ninth president of Sam Houston State University from 1970-1989.
What are the Eligibility Requirements for Scholarships?
- are an incoming freshman to Sam Houston State University
- have demonstrated excellence in academics and leadership
- have achieved scores of 1320 (SAT) or 29 (ACT)
- have been accepted to the Elliott T. Bowers Honors College by January 1st
Note: students who have been accepted to the Honors College and are eligible for the Honors Scholarship are automatically also considered for the Bowers Scholarship. Candidates are judged on a number of factors, including their plans to contribute to the development of the college. Candidates may be subject to an interview by the committee.
What am I Responsible for as a Scholarship Recipient?
Once the scholarship is awarded, students are expected to remain in good standing with Honors by completing the following:
- Live in the Honors dorms their first year
- Maintain Status One in the Honors College, meeting all requirements for satisfactory academic progress toward graduation “With Honors”
- Maintain full-time enrollment (12 credit hours) at SHSU each fall and spring semester.
NOTE: Scholarship funds will not be awarded if students are enrolled in fewer than 12 credit hours. Students who fall below 12 hours during a semester will be put on probation (without scholarship) the following semester
- Maintain a cumulative SHSU GPA of at least 3.25
- Be Honors advised each semester
- Attend 3 qualifying honors events per year
- Enroll in face-to-face courses (cannot be enrolled 100% online)
- Enroll in the scholars section of UNIV 1101H their first semester
- Follow a self-designed track of excellence in research, community service, teaching or leadership.
The Elliott T. Bowers Honors College
Academic Building IV Suite 202 | Box 2479 | Huntsville, Texas 77341-2479
Phone: (936) 294.1477 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org