The mission of the interior design program at Sam Houston State University is to provide an academic background preparing students to think critically, creatively, and independently, enabling them as beginning professionals in interior design to produce quality work and serve the public through protecting health, safety and welfare in a diverse marketplace.
To achieve this mission the program has the following goals:
- To produce graduates with knowledge and skills necessary to practice as entry-level interior design professionals within a diverse marketplace. These graduates will progressively build upon their academic knowledge with work experiences which will make them qualified to become an NCIDQ-eligible design professional.
- To continuously assess the curriculum, ensuring content meets industry and CIDA expectations.
- To develop design projects and assignments relevant and current to real world situations.
- To maintain a level of quality for all course work by requiring students to achieve a minimum grade of “C” in all required FACS, ARTS and ETCM courses, and to complete prerequisite courses in order as they progress through the curriculum.
- To uphold and continue to build strong relationships with industry professionals in the region.