Department of Family and Consumer Sciences
- Ph.D. in Fashion Merchandising (Texas Woman's University, Denton, TX, 1994)
- M.A. in Textiles and Clothing, Minor in Higher Education (The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, 1978)
- B.A. in Fashion Merchandising, Minor in Business Administration (Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, TX, 1973)
- Secondary Certification in Vocational Home Economics, Sam Houston State University, 1987
- Kindergarten Endorsement, Sam Houston State University, 1989
- Certified in Family and Consumer Sciences
Dr. Janis White, CFCS, Associate Professor, has fashion merchandising experience with Leonard Bros. Department Store (now Dillard's in Fort Worth) and Younkers in the Midwest (Iowa). She has been teaching in the Fashion Merchandising program at SHSU since 1989. Her research interests include sustaining strong programs within Family and Consumer Sciences discipline, the 20th Century Costume Collection that is housed in the department, documenting the impact of study abroad experiences among college-age students, and clothing accommodations for child with specific illnesses. She is married to SHSU chemistry professor Dr. Rick White, and they have two grown children and two grandchildren. They enjoy traveling and have introduced over 100 students to Germany and France through the course, "Discoveries in Chemistry, Textiles, and Nutritional Sciences."