The mission of the SHSU Department of Counselor Education (DCE) is to facilitate the development of professional counseling generalists who play an active role in enhancing individual, family, and community wellness in a diverse and changing world. Within the context of this mission, the goals of the (DCE) are to:
- Provide assistance to qualified students in learning the skills necessary to perform as competent and knowledgeable professionals in the counseling field. This includes encouraging students to develop themselves as well-rounded individuals combining their academic experience, personal values, interests and individual personalities.
- Provide academic coursework and clinical experience that support and enhance the professional development of the student following CACREP standards.
- Facilitate the Supervised Counseling Practicums in the Jack Staggs Counseling Clinic and the Community Counseling Clinic primarily for clinical training where advanced graduate students have opportunities for direct client contact and individual and group supervision from counseling faculty and counselor education doctoral students. The Supervised Counseling Practicum provides counseling for the general public in Huntsville and the Woodlands.
- Promote an understanding and acceptance of the cultural diversity of our society.
- Model the standards of integrity, performance, and concern for clients' welfare.
The DCE is based on the belief that the ultimate goal of counseling is maximizing human effectiveness through facilitating human growth and development. The major responsibility of the counselor is seen as one of aiding individuals, couples, and families in the acquisition of effective problem-solving and decision-making patterns that help to establish values and life objectives.
The process of promoting effective decision-making behavior in others requires a firm belief in the potential for growth within each individual, a sound background in the psychology of human behavior and development, and the necessary skills and techniques.