Parking does not have to be a challenge at Sam Houston State University. This page is a "crash course" on parking at Sam. We hope this information helps you learn the campus parking system to avoid parking citations, fines, and frustration.
It is the responsibility of every student, faculty, staff and visitor to the University to make themselves aware of the parking rules and regulations on campus. These regulations hold the key to avoiding parking tickets at Sam. The basics of these regulations are as follows:
- All vehicles entering and parking on the Huntsville campus must display a valid SHSU parking permit, or pay for hourly parking in the parking garage, at all times.
- Permits must be displayed properly on the vehicle according to the instructions on the permit. All parking lots show signs indicating the type of permit and restrictions. Reading and understanding the signs and regulations is very important.
- Posted signs, whether permanent or temporary, must be obeyed at all times. Signs take precedence over painted curbs, pavement markings, and designations shown on any SHSU map.
- If you receive a parking ticket, please do not ignore it. Either schedule an appeal of the ticket within ten days of the ticket issue date or pay the ticket by mail or in person. Visitors should follow the instructions printed on the citation.
- If you park illegally but do not find a ticket on your car, do not assume that you were not ticketed or that you were allowed to park where you did because tickets can become detached from windshields. You are responsible for any ticket to your permit or vehicle.
- Parking citations are assigned first to the permit holder. If no permit is displayed, they are assigned to the vehicle's registered owner. Permit holders are responsible for all tickets issued to their permit, regardless of vehicle ownership. If you have unpaid ticket charges, you will not be able to purchase a parking permit. Students with unpaid ticket charges may be barred from registering for classes, receiving diplomas, or obtaining official transcripts. Your vehicle may be towed and impounded until all unpaid charges are paid in full.
- If your vehicle has been towed, contact the University Police Department at (936) 294-1794 for information on retrieving your vehicle.
- Always display a current SHSU parking permit and park in your designated area within a legally marked parking space.
By simply following these rules, you should never receive a parking ticket from Sam Houston State University.