The Sam Houston State University Parking Garage, located at 1730 Avenue I, is a separate entity and it is a pay-per-use, or pay-by-semester, facility with access either by garage access card, or receiving an entry ticket and paying at exit with a major credit card. The garage provides both contract and hourly parking rates.
Contract holders utilize the swipe readers on the left side of the entrance and exit kiosks, magnetic stripe facing to the left. Hourly parking customers push a button to receive an entry ticket to raise the gate and enter the garage, and pay at exit with a MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express credit card. No cash is accepted. DO NOT insert a credit card into the entrance kiosk. HOURLY CUSTOMERS MUST KEEP THEIR ENTRY TICKET - YOU WILL NEED IT TO COMPUTE YOUR PARKING FEE AT THE EXIT KIOSKS. LOST TICKETS WILL RESULT IN A $10 LOST TICKET FEE. Detailed instructions are posted on the entrance and exit kiosks.
Summer Session I & II
Summer Session II
There are two entrances:
Avenue I Entrance
East side of garage across from the Gaertner Performing Arts Center. Enter via Avenue I.
South side of garage across from LSC. Enter via side road by SHSU Online (Arleigh Templeton Building).
Contract parkers have a numbered reserved parking spot starting on the Avenue I level. ADA parking is available at the LSC entrance ground level.
Elevator is available at the Southeast corner at the Ave I ground level.
Contract spaces are reserved from 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. daily.
$1.25 per hour, maximum $6.00 per transaction for a 24 hour period. Lost ticket fee is $10.
The parking garage is a gated, attendant-less parking system. Access is gained by accepting an entrance ticket dispensed at the entry gate. KEEP THIS ENTRY TICKET – YOU WILL NEED IT TO EXIT THE GARAGE. To exit, insert this same entry ticket received at entry to compute your parking fee, and then insert your credit card for payment.
To park by the hour:
- Stop at entrance gate
- Push Green Button which states, “Push for Ticket”
- Entry ticket will dispense
- Pull entry ticket
- Gate will open
- KEEP YOUR ENTRY TICKET – YOU WILL NEED IT TO EXIT THE GARAGE
- Enter and locate an available parking spot. Do not park in a "Contract Parking" space during posted hours unless you have a parking contract
- Upon leaving, proceed to nearest exit
- Insert ticket you obtained at garage entry
- Ticket reader will compute parking fee
- Insert either:
- Validation ticket issued by sponsoring department; or,
- Customer credit card (with stripe facing down and to the right)
- Cards accepted include:
- Bearkat One Card
- Master Card
- American Express
- Transaction will either be:
- Credited with time on validation ticket; or,
- Charged against your credit card
- Push receipt button (if receipt is desired)
- Take receipt and exit garage
- Press the “i” intercom button, or call (936) 294-1794 if you need to speak with an attendant
- All customers without their entry ticket, or a valid credit card, will be assessed a $10.00 lost ticket fee to exit the garage
The garage may close to public hourly parking during special events.
For surface lot parking, go to the permit web page.