Sam Houston State University strongly encourages its students to maintain health insurance coverage while attending college. SHSU offers its students the option of obtaining insurance through Academic HealthPlans.
Sam Houston State University is pleased to present the 2012–2013 Student Health Insurance Plan underwritten by ACE American Insurance Company and administered by Academic HealthPlans, Inc.
All registered domestic students taking six (6) or more credit hours are eligible to participate in the Plan.
- Student and parents are encouraged to review the enclosed information regarding the 2012–2013 Student Health Insurance Plan. Some of the Plan benefits include:
Up to a $100,000 lifetime maximum benefit per covered injury or sickness for Basic
- Up to a total $250,000 lifetime maximum benefit per covered injury or sickness with the
purchase of optional major medical coverage for an additional premium.
- A $50 deductible per Injury or Sickness.
- The Plan works closely with the SHSU Student Health Center to maximize benefits.
The plan deductible will be waived and covered services will be paid at paid at 100% of
usual and customary charges at the Student Health Center Only.
- Prescription Drug benefits are available at the Student Health Center as well as outside the SHC. Please see your brochure for full details.
- Participating Providers in the Texas True Choice Network include many providers and
hospitals in the Huntsville and Greater Houston area.
- Outside of Texas, the preferred provider network is First Health Network.
- Online enrollment and more Plan information available at www.AHPCare.com/shsu.
This Plan provides coverage appropriate to the student population for a reasonable price. This is important as students often experience changes during their academic career that make them ineligible for coverage under their parent’s insurance plans (e.g. residing out-of-area and changes in full-time student status).
If you are presently insured, the Student Health Center encourages you to review your current plan to make certain that you will be adequately covered while in school. If you are not presently insured, you may want to consider protecting yourself from the unexpected cost of medical care by enrolling in the Sam Houston State University Student Health Insurance Plan.
If you have any questions about the insurance or want to enroll online in the Plan, please call
Academic HealthPlans at (855) AHP-CARE. More information about the Plan and services can be obtained by accessing the Academic HealthPlans website www.AHPCare.com/shsu.
Domestic Student Forms
- 2012-2013 Student Health Insurance Plan Overview
- 2012-2013 Domestic Student Insurance Enrollment Form
- 2012-2013 SHSU AHP Brochure
- 2012-2013 SHSU Dental Flyer
- 2012-2013 SHSU Student Dental Enrollment Form
Please visit the Office of International Programs for further information regarding insurance requirements.