Web Page Migration
Has your Department's website been migrated to the new template yet? If not there is something you can do to streamline the process: update your content. After you have taken the time to validate all of the content on your site, please contact Marilyn West (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that she can add you and your website to the list.
How to Make Sure Your Files are Backed Up
We suggest not storing files on your local computer. The S: and T: drives are provided for this purpose and to protect your files and ensure file availability. Faculty and staff are advised to store documents in these locations since files on the local computer are not backed up by Information Resources and during maintenance these files may be lost and will not be recoverable.
All SHSU technological purchases should be processed through the Computer Services SamWeb Work Order system in accordance with FO-IR-12 policy regarding SHSU Technology Acquisition Oversight. This process ensures that whatever technology you purchase is compatible with the SHSU Computer Network; purchases done outside of this system have no such assurance of compatibility.
- Memory Sticks: Purchase (and encourage your students to buy) flash drives that are USB Mass Storage Compliant.
- Operating Systems: The supported version of Macintosh machines is OS X, version 5 and will soon include version 6, Snow Leopard. The supported version of Microsoft's operating system is Windows XP.
- Software Packages: The supported versions of office suites are Microsoft's Office 2007 for PC's and for Macintoshes Microsoft Office 2008. A list of software for faculty, staff, and lab machines is available.
- Currently approved hardware configurations:
- The minimum requirements for a PC are a 2.5 GHz processor, 1.5 GB RAM, and an 80 GB disk, with 15 GB free. Our recommended configuration is a 3.0 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB memory, and a 250 GB hard drive.
- The minimum configuration for a Macintosh is a 1.83 GHz Dual Core processor, 1.5GB RAM, and a 80GB hard drive.
Information Resources division may schedule significant periods of downtime for major system upgrades and maintenance. Certain systems may be unavailable on Friday nights after 6 p.m. and on holidays. To permit patches and routine updates, managed Macintosh nodes may be automatically rebooted between Friday at 6 p.m. and Saturday morning at 8 a.m.
Did You Know?
In the month of September, the Information Resources Help Desk handled:
- 2417 Total Phone Calls
- 317 Walk-in Customers, and
- Completed 299 Work Orders
Follow IR Help Desk On Twitter, Facebook and Blog: