Create and Mail Merge Mailing Labels for Department Mailings
Technology Tutorials | Mail Merge
Generate a Delimited List in Nell
Open the SecureCRT program to access Nell.
Log in to Nell using your username and your Nell password. Remember, your Nell password is NOT the same as your password used for SamWeb/e-mail/Blackboard.
- Type SHSU and press enter to bring up the list of available Nell programs.
- Type P to search for a program.
- The program you will use is called SAFS60RC. Type safs to search for that program
- Choose the corresponding number on the list to bring up the SAFS60RC program.
- The prompt “Produce labels(merge file)for all Departmental Offices” will produce a label for each office (as opposed to individuals)
- Type Y if that is what you need – then choose Campus Address or type N for individual addresses.
- Enter the fiscal year in YYYY format.
- Choose the campus division that best describes you recipients.
- Choose from the list what type of persons best describe your recipients.
- Choose new hires or everyone.
- The program will then tell you that a csv (comma-separated, or delimited) file will be created in your Nell directory. This file will be named SAFS60##.csv (## being a random 2-digit number).
- Choose 1 for Campus Address.
- Choose N to say no to using Huntsville address for outside mailings.
- Follow prompts to choose sorting method, ethnicity code, and sex.
- Press enter when the batch queue is shown and again when you are prompted to enter a time (this list will generate overnight).
- Enter E to exit the program list, and logo to log out of Nell. Close the SecureCRT program.
Retrieve the List from your Nell Directory
Remember that the labels generate overnight, so this section will not work immediately after.
Open the FileZilla program and follow these directions: Filezilla: Moving your files
Follow the instructions at Mail Merge: Create Labels for a List of Recipients to create a mail merge for labels. Use the file that you transferred from your Nell Directory and use the Create Mail Merge Wizard to guide you through the process step-by-step.