Cisco IP PHones: 7970 Basic Call Handling
SHSU Technology Tutorials | Cisco IP Phones | 7970 Basic Call Handling
7970 Basic Call Handling
Using the Speaker
You can use the speaker in conjunction with all of the features on your IP Phone.
- To place and answer calls using the speaker, press the Speaker button.
- To switch from the handset to the speaker during a call, press the Speaker button and then hang up the handset.
- To switch from the speaker to the handset, simply lift the handset.
Placing a Call
You can use any of the following methods to place a call:
- Lift the Handset and dial the number.
- Press a Line button corresponding to your extension and dial the number.
- Press the Speaker button and dial the number.
- Press the Headset button if it is not activated and dial the number.
- Press the New Call softkey and dial the number.
- Enter the number and press the Dial softkey.
- Press the button that corresponds with your Speed dial.
- Press the Redial softkey to dial the last number dialed. Unless you first choose a secondary line, this feature uses your primary line.
Dialing from a Phone Log
You can search for and dial the numbers of missed calls, received calls, and placed calls by accessing your phone log through the Directories button. Your IP Phone can store up to 32 calls in each of these directories.
- Press the Directories button.
- Choose Missed Calls, Received Calls, or Placed Calls.
- Press the corresponding number or use the Navigation button to highlight the desired number, and press the Dial softkey. Press the Exit softkey twice to exit the Directory menu.
If you are trying to call a number that is outside the University you will have to use edit dial and and a 9 and 1 before the number.
Answering a Call
To answer an incoming call use one of the following methods:
- Lift the handset.
- Press the Answer softkey.
- To answer with the speakerphone, press the Answer softkey, the Speaker button or the flashing line button.
- If using a headset and the button is lit, press the Answer softkey or the flashing line button.
Answering a Call using Call Waiting
To switch from a connected call to answer a ringing call:
- Press the Answer softkey or press the Blinking Amber Button for the line with the incoming call. The other call is placed on hold automatically.
To switch between calls on one line:
- Highlight the call you are switching to and press the Resume softkey. The other call is placed on hold automatically.
Ending a Call
To end a call use one of the following methods:
- Using the handset hang up the handset or press EndCall softkey.
- Using the headset press the Headset button. If you want to keep the headset activated, press the EndCall softkey.
- Using the speakerphone press the Speaker button or press the EndCall softkey.
Using Hold and Resume
To place a call on hold:
- During the call, highlight the call you want to put on hold and press the Hold softkey.
- To return to a call, highlight the appropriate call and press the Resume softkey.
To return to a call on hold when you have multiple calls on multiple lines on hold:
- Press the appropriate line button. If there is a single call holding on this line, the call will resume automatically. If there are multiple calls holding, make sure that the appropriate call is highlighted.
- Press Resume.
Note: If you have multiple lines on hold and want to see the phone number for a call you have on hold, press the ? button followed by the line button of the call on hold.
To mute a call:
- Press the Mute button to mute the handset, headset, or speakerphone during a call. This temporarily disables your phone’s microphone so you can hear other parties but they cannot hear you.