Attendance Initiative - Data Entry
SHSU Technology Tutorials | Attendance Initiative
How to Enter the Data
Click on the link for "Attendance Entry”.
This will bring you to a screen to enter the ID of the professor assigned to the course you want roll sheets for.
Here we have three options
- If we know the Sam ID, we can enter it directly. For Faculty printing roll sheets for their own courses, this will likely be the easiest method.
- If we know the name of the person we want roll sheets for but do not know their Sam ID, we can look it up by clicking on the “Find a Sam ID” link. This will pop up a separate new window
- We can enter either a first and last name or a username
- And click search
- We can then select and copy (Ctrl+C) the Sam ID so that we can paste it on the first screen.
- Finally, we can just leave the ID box blank to get a list of courses that have no assigned professor
Once we have decided on our input, we can click the “Display Courses” button to get to our list of courses.
We are presented with a list of courses. For each of these courses, we have the CRN, the course subject, number and section. Beside each course will be an indication of how many students need to be entered. You will also see courses where the attendance entry is required or optional.
There are several things to note on this screen:
- Directly under the title, we see a message on when Attendance Entry is available.
- Next is a section of courses that are required to have Attendance entered. For each of these courses, we have the CRN, the course subject, number and section.
- Also on each line is information on how many students need to have attendance information entered, and how many have already had attendance entered. One of these will usually be 0 and the other will be the size of the class. We show both so that you can clearly see the case if a student has enrolled after you have already entered attendance for the other students.
- The final section is a list of courses that it is optional to enter attendance for. If desired attendance can be entered for these courses, but it will not effect any emails sent to students as part of the attendance initiative. Beside each course will be the reason listed why this course is not considered required.
If you feel that the reason given is in error, you can contact the Registrar’s office to have the course updated. This is currently handled by Dana Bible ( firstname.lastname@example.org ).
We select a course, and click the “Enter Attendance for Selected Course” button and we are taken to this screen:
A list of all students enrolled in this course, along with their Sam ID and Names are provided. Next to each student you have the option to record the student as either “Has attended at least once” or “Has not attended”. If attendance has previously been entered for this course, the values that were entered will be set as the current values on your screen.
Once you have set each student’s status, click the Save Attendance button. You will receive a pop up indicating that attendance for that course has been saved:
You will also receive an email verifying that your attendance has been entered.
You will then be taken back to the course list so that you may enter attendance for another course for that professor. If you need to enter attendance for a different professor, you can click on the link for “Attendance Entry”.