Spring Semester Software Requests
It is never too early to start thinking about the spring semester. We realize that it is still a few months out, but if you know you will need special software for your classes next semester please let us know as soon as possible.
To ensure adequate time for installation and testing of new network software, the requests must be received, licensing in place, and the software delivered to IT@Sam by November 1st. However, the sooner, the better! A significant level of testing is needed to assure the application will not impact other programs and that your students can access it as you intended. After it is installed you will be notified and asked to test the software. Therefore, please leave sufficient time for installation and your testing phase.
All network software requests must be submitted to IT@Sam by either calling the Service Desk at 4-1950 or by using the Workorder System on SamWeb and click on Purchase or Quote Request as the type of workorder.
You will need to submit a work order if either of the following:
- New Installations - To request that we install software not already available on the network.
- Maintain or Keep Current Software - To request that we leave specific software applications on the SHSU campus network.
Applications are provided for your use, so if we do not have current notice from you that you still need them, they may be removed to facilitate new requests. Therefore, if you're using something currently on the network, for classroom purposes or not, please be sure to complete a work order to ensure that we keep the software on the network.
What you will need:
- The vendor (ex. Adobe), title (ex. Creative Suite), and version number (ex. 5.5) of the software being requested.
- The number of computers on which the software will be installed.
- If this is a new software request, information on how the software will be delivered to IT@Sam. (A web download or physical media)
- The semester that the software will be needed.
- Who will need to run this software? If Specific Users or Specific Computer Lab(s) is selected, use the work order Description field to indicate that information.
- Approval from your Department Chair/Head.
If you have any questions feel free to e-mail the Service Desk or call (4-HELP).