Fact and Opinon 3
Decide if the following statements are facts or opinions. Mark the correct
1. People should not break the speed limit because they can get into a serious
2. You need to write a good topic sentence, so you can have a clear, well-developed
3. Parakeets were first discovered in 1805.
4. Hamburgers and french fries are popular with children.
5. Half of the Pilgrims who sailed on the Mayflower died from starvation
6. Charlotte's Web is wonderful book that all children need to read.
7. Scientists say that 25% of all Americans don't drink enough water.
8. The Ford Mustang is the best type of car on the road.
Read the following selection and answer the questions.
Fire safety is important in your home. Thousands of homes are destroyed
each year due to fire. In order to keep your family safe from fire in the
home, you can follow a few guidelines. Make sure that all electrical wires
have no open wires showing. Do not place flammable materials together or
in an enclosed area. Also, it is important to have a professional check
your heating system before you turn it on in the summer. Did you know that
Christmas trees could be another source of fire? If you water your Christmas
tree daily, it will prevent it from drying out and help keep it from catching
The most important part of fire safety is to have a plan of evacuation so
that your family can get out of the house in case of fire. Another good
way to find more information on fire safety is to visit your local fire
department and talk to firemen. The firemen will be more than happy to give
you all the important information you need to prevent fires in your home.
9. Which one the following is an Opinion in the passage?
a. Fire safety is important in your home.
b. Thousands of homes are destroyed each year due to fire.
c. You can pick up information from the local fire department concerning
d. Firemen are heroes because they protect our homes and us.
10. Which of the following is a Fact in the passage?
a. Christmas trees can cause fires.
b. Seven hundred homes are destroyed due to poor wiring.
c. The best way to find out more information concerning fire safety is to
visit your local fire department.
d. The most important part of fire safety is to have an evacuation plan.
Please print out your pre test. Click here to see answers!