for Reasonable Answers
TEKS Objective 5.4 A; 5.4 B
TAAS Objective 13
1. The shoe store has 1,694 pair of tennis shoes. The
store has a total of 3,250 pair of shoes. Which is a reasonable total for
the number of dress shoes in the shoe store?
A. Less than 1000
B. Between 1000 and 2000
C. Between 2000 and 3000
D. Between 3000 and 4000
E. More than 4000
2, John walked 1.8 miles on Monday, 1.9 miles on Tuesday, and 3.2 miles
on Wednesday. Which is the best estimate of the number of miles John walked
during the 3 days?
A. 2 mi
B. 3 mi
C. 5 mi
D. 7 mi
E. 9 mi
3. Mr. Perez lives in a small town. He drives from 63 to 67 miles round-trip
each day to work as a fireman in Houston. Which could be the total number
of miles he will drive if he works at the fire station for 15 days?
A. Less than 500 mi
B. Between 900 and 1,000 mi
C. Between 1,000 mi and 1,200 mi
D. Between 1,200 mi and 1,400 mi
E. More than 1,400 mi
4. The 5th grade class at Travis Elementary has about 135 students. If
a school bus holds about 35 students, what would be a reasonable number
of busses needed for a field trip?
5. A football stadium has a total of 8,965 seats. At the first football
game, 6,248 people attended, and at the second game 7,470 people attended.
Which is a reasonable total number of empty seats in the football stadium
at the second game?
A. More than 6,000
B. Between 4,500 and 6,000
C. Between 3,000 and 4,500
D. Between 1,500 and 3,000
E. Less than 1,500
6. Sarah went to the store for her mother. She bought dog food for $3.89,
milk for $3.29, and cereal for $2.99. Which is the best estimate of the
total cost of these items, not including tax?
7. The Drama Club at Washington High School put on a play last week. There
were 247 people at the play on Thursday night, 325 people on Friday, and
278 on Saturday. Which is the best estimate of the total number of people
who watched the play on those 3 nights?
8. The fifth graders from Lamar Elementary went on a field trip to the
zoo. They counted 28 buses from different schools. If there were 32 students
on each bus, which is the best estimate of the total number of students
on the buses?
9. Dustin bought a compact disc for $12.98 and a package of blank compact
disc for $16.98. Which is the best estimate of the total amount he spent
on these items, not including tax?
10. Mrs. Williams teaches 6 math classes each day. There are from 28 to
32 students in each class. Which is a reasonable total number of students
Mrs. Williams teaches each day?
A. Less than 100
B. Between 100 and 150
C. Between 150 and 200
D. Between 200 and 250
E. More than 250
Please print your answers. Click here to see the correct answers!