Context Clues I
Choose the best meaning of the underlined word.
1. The first review on the Harry Potter movie was favorable.
Many people attended and enjoyed the movie. Some people even saw the movie
2. Her quiet, timid ways made us guess at her true feelings
about the story because she kept her ideas to herself and never spoke in
3. He was found running down the street after curfew, and his parents were
penalized. The ticket read: "Illegally in the streets
at 1:00A.M." Now he would have to pay the ticket with his own money.
4. The woman crossed her fingers as her daughter did the cheer. She was
hoping that everything would work out for her daughter as she vied
for a position on the squad. Her daughter wanted to be a cheerleader.
5. The boy knew that the lake was teeming, and overflowing
with bass, so he brought a big net to help get the fish in the boat.
6. It was difficult to listen to Tommy speak because he droned on
and on just like a buzzer that won't stop buzzing.
b. same tone
7. The lithe girl was perfect for the basketball team because
she was all muscle and could play well.
8. Thomas went to the apex of the mountain, and because it
was so high, he had to take a tank of oxygen with him.
9. The apparatus that Jill used to connect the fabric was
similar to a sewing machine, but this one did all of the work while she
just pushed a button.
10. The frigid air seemed to suck his breathe away as he attempted
to finish his first snowman of the season
Please print out your pre test. Click here to see answers!