Basics of Estimation
1. Which is the proper sequence when working with a word problem?
A. Read the problem, look for words that mean estimate, round the numbers
in the word problem, decide which math function to use, work the problem,
choose your answer.
B. Read the problem, decide which math function to use, choose your answer, round your problem.
C. Read the problem, decide which math function to use, round your numbers, work your problem, round your numbers again, choose your answer.
D. Read the problem, write it down, then answer it.
2. Which phrase is in word problems that indicates that you
A. Which is the best estimate
B. About how much
C. What is the approximate
D. All of the phrases can indicate that you should estimate.
3. Round the number 2,455 to the nearest hundred.
D. 2, 450
4. Round the number 2,455 to the nearest thousand.
5. Round the number 2,455 to the nearest ten.
6. If Brian sold 543 candy bars for the school fund raiser, and Jessica sold 1,231 candy bars, how many more candy bars did Jessica sell than Brian?
In this word problem you should
A. Round the two numbers then add
B. Round the two numbers then subtract
C. add the two amounts
D. subtract the two amounts
7. If Kimberly ran 784 yards on Monday and she ran 942 yards
on Tuesday, about how many did she run in all?
A. Round the two numbers then subtract
B. Round the two numbers then add the two amounts
C. subtract the two amounts
D. add the two amounts
8. If the yellow car can go 229 miles per hour and the red
car can go 146 miles per hour, what is the best estimated difference between
the two cars?
A. About 20 miles per hour
B. About 30 miles per hour
C. About 60 miles per hour
D. About 80 miles per hour
9. If Michael read 1,234 pages in the read-a-thon, and Allen
read 2,456 pages and Ashley read 5,321 pages, what is the approximate number
of pages that they read altogether?
A. 4,000 to 5,000 pages
B. 5,000 to 6,000 pages
C. 8,000 to 9,000 pages
D. 10,000 to 11,000 pages
10. If Michael read 1,234 pages in the read-a-thon, and Allen
read 2,456 pages and Ashley read 5,321 pages, about how many more pages did
Ashley read than Michael?
A. Between 1,000 and 2,000 more pages
B. Between 2,000 and 3,000 more pages
C. Between 3,000 and 4,000 more pages
D. More than 5,000 pages
Click here to see answers.