(Sam Houston State University Policy Information - Revised 06/17/2011)
NOTICE: DATES AND/OR TIMES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
The MAT is an analogy-based test. The ability to analyze information is a key attribute of candidates that the most respected universities value and seek out. This test has proven itself in use for more than 50 years as a reliable and valid test for qualifying graduate school candidates.
- REGISTRATION/ADMINISTRATION/TEST FEE: An $80.00 non-refundable, non-transferable registration/administration/test fee is charged for the MAT. Examinees may register for a scheduled test date by coming to the Testing Center (Academic Bldg. IV, Room 102) or registering online at www.shsu.edu/testing, paying the required fee (check, money order, Visa MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) and having their name placed on the list for a specific testing date and time. If registering by mail, a check or money order (made payable to SHSU) must be sent along with a note indicating the examinee's name, address, social security number, requested date for testing (Monday through Friday), requested time for testing (8:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., or 2:00 p.m. for the computer version of the test), and a phone number where the examinee may be reached. If registering by phone, a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) is the only form of payment accepted during the phone conversation. Registrations will be taken until the test begins or until the test room is full (seating is limited and registrations are done on a first come-first served basis).
- TESTING DAYS AND TIMES: The MAT computer-based exams are administered Monday through Friday at 8:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., or 2:00 p.m. Examinees need to arrive at the testing site 15 - 30 minutes prior to the scheduled testing time on the scheduled testing date. Testing will begin promptly at the designated time and latecomers, arriving after the test has begun, will not be admitted. Click here to register online!
- ITEMS NEEDED: It is essential to verify the identification of each examinee. In order to be admitted for testing, each examinee should present two forms of positive identification, one of which must include a current photo. A photo identification may be a school issued photo ID, driver's license, passport, state-issued ID, military ID, etc. A non-photo identification may be a Social Security Card, birth certificate, credit card, library card, voter registration card, utility bill (with appropriate name and address), etc. Examinees who cannot produce one acceptable form of photo identification and one additional positive form of identification will not be admitted to take the MAT.
- SCORES: Scores will be sent to the examinee and up to three official score reports will be sent to recipients specified when you take the MAT. It takes approximately 10 to 15 business days from the date that Harcourt Assessment receives your test for the score reports to be mailed.
- RETAKES: If you are retaking the MAT, be sure to follow the instructions in the section Applying to Retake the MAT is addressed on page 6 of the Candidate Information Booklet.
- WEB SITE: www.milleranalogies.com
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Students needing additional information concerning the MAT may write to the Testing Center, Sam Houston State University, Box 2240, Huntsville, Texas 77341-2240; visit the office in Academic Building IV, Room 102; call (936) 294-1025; or send an email to email@example.com.
Testing Rules and Conditions:
- I understand that I must comply with these testing rules and conditions and if I fail to do so, my test results may be canceled, no monies will be refunded, and legal action or other remedies may be pursued.
- I understand that I must have proper identification to be permitted to take the MAT. Proper identification includes two pieces of positive identification, one of which must include a picture.
- I understand that my responses may be used for purposes of training and instruction. Further, I understand that if my responses are used for these purposes, individual identifying information will be removed.
- I understand that the test administrators are responsible for maintaining a secure test administration and that I authorize the administrators to act as my agents in maintaining test security and will cooperate with them. I further agree to follow all reasonable oral or written instructions presented at the test administration. I understand that if I fail to comply with this requirement, I may be dismissed from the test administration and/or my score may be canceled.
- I agree not to communicate with other examinees or other individuals, other than the test administrators, during the test administration. I further agree not to disrupt or in any way behave in any way that would adversely affect my performance or the performance of other examinees. I understand that if I fail to comply with this requirement, I may be dismissed from the test administration and/or my score may be canceled.
- I understand that all test questions and other test materials are the property of Harcourt Assessment, Inc. and/or its contractors and have been developed at great cost. I further understand that the materials must be kept confidential and secure from disclosure. These materials are not available to me outside of the test administration, either before or after the test administration. I understand that I cannot and will not take any assessment materials, including notes, from the test administration room. Any other duplication of test materials, in whole or in part, is prohibited. I promise and agree not to disclose any of the contents of the assessment and will not duplicate or reproduce information contained in those booklets, in whole or in part. I understand that if I should fail to comply with this requirement, I may be liable for the costs associated with a failure to comply and may be subject to other legal remedies including injunctive relief for any such action on my part.
- I understand that my scores will be made available to institutions of higher education and appropriate state agencies. If I wish to cancel my scores, I must do so before leaving the test center by notifying the test administrators in writing of my desire to do so. If Harcourt Assessment, Inc. has any doubt about the legitimacy or validity of my score, they may cancel my test score if, in their sole opinion, there is adequate reason to question the validity or legitimacy of the score.
- I understand and agree that liability for test administration activities, including but not limited to the accuracy of the assessment materials, assessment scores, administration conditions including computer equipment, will be limited to a retake of the assessment or correction of the scores at no additional charge. I waive all rights to all further claims arising out of any acts or omissions of Harcourt Assessment, Inc. or its contractors.
- I understand that the assessment itself and the assessment program are subject to change at the sole discretion of Harcourt Assessment, Inc. and its contractors.
If I object to any of these rules or conditions, I understand that I will advise the test administrators before the test administration and the objection will be considered prior to allowing me to take the assessment. If my objection is not honored, I will not be permitted to take the assessment.
I understand that should any of the rules or conditions or other aspect of the assessment process be declared by any court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or illegal, the remaining rules, conditions and assessment components will not be affected and will remain in effect.