(Sam Houston State University Policy Information–Revised 02/24/2012)
NOTICE: DATES AND/OR TIMES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
COMPASS tests are designed to provide placement, advisement, and guidance information for students entering institutions of higher education. These tests are developed by ACT, INC. to provide information about the student’s level of skill and accomplishment in reading, writing, English and mathematics. It determines which courses are appropriate for the student and whether remedial classes are needed. COMPASS presents the tests in a computer-adaptive mode and scores are available immediately after testing.
- TESTING DAYS AND TIMES: The COMPASS tests are administered Monday thru Friday at either 8:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., or 2:00 p.m. Examinees need to report to the testing site at least 15-30 minutes prior to their scheduled testing time on their scheduled testing date. A maximum of three hours of actual testing time is allowed once the timing of the test has begun.
- REGISTRATION/ADMINISTRATION/TEST FEE: A non-refundable, non-transferable registration/administration/test fee is charged for the COMPASS test at the rate of $50.00 for all students. Students may register for a scheduled test date by coming to the Testing Center, paying the required registration/administration fee (check, money order, or credit card – Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) and having their name placed on the list for a specific testing date. If registering by mail, a check or money order (made payable to SHSU) must be sent along with a note indicating the examinee’s name, address, social security number, requested date for testing, and phone number where the student may be reached. If registering by phone, a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) is the only form of payment accepted during the phone conversation. If registering online, an additional $3.00 per test will be charged. Registrations will be taken until the test begins or until the test room is full (seating is limited and registrations are done on a first come-first served basis). Click here to register online.
- ITEMS NEEDED: Students need to bring a current unexpired picture identification, a second form of identification (i.e. social security card, student ID, birth certificate, etc.), and their student ID or social security number on the day of the test. Students will not be allowed to test without proper identification.
- SCORES: Scores will be available immediately following completion of the test. You will be given a copy of your scores before you leave the Testing Center. A copy of all COMPASS scores for one testing day will be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office at the end of the testing day. Please check with the Registrar’s Office for current passing score requirements.
- RETAKES: Students taking the test must wait 30 days before attempting to retake the test. Students who retest before the 30-day time limit will not have their new scores used.
- REGISTRATION AND CLASSES: Please check with the Registrar’s Office (936-294-1040) or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information concerning ACCUPLACER scores, developmental courses, and registration requirements for classes.
- STUDENT GUIDE WEB SITE: http://www.act.org/compass.
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Students needing additional information concerning the COMPASS may write to the Testing Center, Sam Houston State University, Box 2240, Huntsville, Texas 77341-2240; visit the office in Academic Building IV, Room 102; call (936) 294-1025; or send an email to email@example.com.