(Sam Houston State University Policy Information - Revised 11/30/2012)
Sam Houston State University may award college credit for the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) Advanced Placement Examinations based on the minimum score(s) requirement according to this policy. The AP exams listed below may be taken for credit at SHSU.
Sam Houston State University has a policy of accepting up to a maximum of thirty (30) hours of credit through a combination of national standardized examinations and/or locally designed and administered departmental tests. More than thirty (30) hours of credit by examination will be considered on an individual appeal basis. Policies are subject to change at any time. Please check this web site for the most current policy.
|ADVANCED PLACEMENT EXAM||SHSU COURSE #||CREDIT
|Art--General, Studio, Drawing, Design, etc. (review of portfolio required)||departmental approval||3|
|Art, History||ARTS 1303 (1301 if already have received credit for 1303)||3|
|Biology||BIOL 1311/1111 and 1313/1113||8|
|Chemistry||CHEM 1311/1111 and 1312/1112||8|
|Chinese Language||FOLG 1401, 1402, 2303, 2304||4-14|
|Comparative Government & Politics||POLS 2365||3|
|Computer Science A||COSC 1436||4|
|English, Language and Composition||ENGL 1301||3|
|English, Literature and Composition||ENGL 1302||3|
|Environmental Science||BIOL 1301, 1101||4|
|French, Language||FREN 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312||4-14|
|German, Language||GERM 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312||4-14|
|Government and Politics, United States||POLS 2302||3|
|History, United States||HIST 1301, 1302||6|
|History, World||HIST 2311||3|
|Human Geography||GEOG 1321||3|
|Italian Language||FOLG 1401, 1402, 2303, 2304||4-14|
|Japanese Language||FOLG 1401, 1402, 2303, 2304||4-14|
|Latin Language||FOLG 1401, 1402, 2303, 2304||4-14|
|Mathematics, Calculus AB||MATH 1420||4|
|Mathematics, Calculus BC||MATH 1420 and 1430||8|
|Physics B||PHYS 1301 and 1302||6|
|Physics C, Mechanics||PHYS 1411||4|
|Physics C, Electricity and Magnetism||PHYS 1422||4|
|Spanish, Language||SPAN 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312||4-14|
|Statistics||STAT (or MATH) 1369||3|
- GENERAL INFORMATION. The Advanced Placement (AP) examinations are taken prior to the student's high school graduation at designated test centers. Information on the CEEB Advanced Placement Examinations may be obtained from high school counselors or by visiting the AP web site (see information in #5 below).
- LIMITATIONS. Credit will not be awarded for an exam if the student is enrolled in the course, has already taken the course, or has already received credit for the course.
- ACCEPTABLE SCORES AND CREDIT. An official Advanced Placement score report must be received from a beginning freshman (or any student who has not received college credit for these exams at another college/university) before credit will be awarded. Credit may be awarded in transfer from another college/university as long as an official transcript from that institution indicates the credit awarded and the credit is for a course or courses that are transferable from that institution to SHSU or by receiving an official AP score report. Credit will not be awarded for an exam if the student has taken the course and received a grade and/or credit for the course. Specific course prefixes, numbers, and credit hours will be awarded for acceptable scores, but no grades will be awarded, except in transfer from another college or university.
The following scores are required in order to receive credit for AP exams at SHSU:
- A score of 4 or above is required for Art (majors), Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science A, Environmental Science, Human Geography, Music Theory, Physics B, Physics C (Mechanics), Physics C (Electricity and Magnetism), and World History;
- A score of 3 or above is required for French (Language), German (Language) and Spanish (Language) -- specifically: a score of 3 = 1411, 4 = 1411, 1412, 5 = 1411, 1412, 2311, and 2312 (if a student has received any credit for a foreign language exam they must contact the Foreign Languages Department to inquire about their departmental exam before they will be allowed to continue taking courses in that department);
- A score of 3 or above is required for Art (non-majors) and all other AP exams accepted at SHSU.
Interpretive information about the score reports is enclosed with the initial grade report. For additional copies or additional information you may:
WRITE: AP Services
P. O. Box 6671
Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6671: or
EMAIL: email@example.com; or CALL: toll free (877) 274-6474 or
(609) 771-7300; or
- QUESTIONS. For additional questions please contact the office by writing to the Testing Center, Sam Houston State University, Box 2240, Huntsville, Texas 77341; visiting the office in Academic Building IV, Room 102; calling (936) 294-1025; or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AP WEB SITE. www.apcentral.collegeboard.com