1. Graduate Studies Application: http://www.shsu.edu/admissions/apply-texas.html
2. Application fee
3. Official transcript from the baccalaureate degree granting institution
4. Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0
5. Official GRE scores or demonstrated professional experience*
6. Personal statement**
7. Two recommendation letters that discuss the applicant's suitability for graduate study
Student may enroll for the Fall and Spring semesters (no summer admissions) and will be notified of their admission status within two weeks of the close of the application deadline. The application deadline for Spring enrollment is November 30th; the application deadline for Fall enrollment is April 30th.
* GRE scores can be waived in a limited number of circumstances. If you would like to be considered for a waiver, please send a formal written request with justification to the Director of Graduate Studies.
** The Personal Statement is your opportunity to discuss your fit with the program offered at Sam Houston State University. While you have a significant amount of freedom to discuss anything you would like in your personal statement, you mat want to address our short-term and long-term academic/professional goals, why you would like to attend our program, and why/how your interests fit with our program. The personal statement also provides you with an opportunity to discuss any additional experience that you have had that make you suited to our particular program or other things that you would like to discuss that are not stated elsewhere in your application material. The length of the personal statement is typically 2-3 pages in length (double-spaced, 12-point font) and should not exceed 5 pages.
Admission to the MA Program in Sociology is competitive and the number of available positions is limited. Because of this, we are not accepting non-degree seeking students.
Send all documents to the Office of Graduate Studies:
Sam Houston State University
Office of Graduate Studies
Huntsville, TX 77341-2478
Graduate Online Support