campus picture










































Post 911 GI Bill

Veterans wishing to use the new Post 9/11 GI Bill must fill out a new application (VA Form 22-1990) and submit it to the VA.  This can be done by “hard copy” or by filling out the application online at  The Online Application is referred to as “VONAPP”.

Please consider you decision to switch over to the Post 9/11 GI Bill carefully.  As an example of how this works:  If a veteran has only 12 months remaining on their old GI Bill (Chapter 30) benefits and they switch over to Chapter 33 they will only receive 12 months under the new GI Bill.  However, if the veteran chose to use up their 12 remaining months under Chapter 30 benefits, once they are exhausted, they may apply for 12 additional months of the new Post 9/11  GI Bill for a total of 48 months. 

Once the VA has approved your application they will send you a “Certificate of Eligibility” (COE).  You must bring this to the Veteran Resource Center Office.  We cannot make any adjustments for tuition without this form. It tells us that;  A.) You have been approved and B.) at what percentage you have been approved for. The Post 9/11 GI Bill pays your tuition and fees to the school based on the percentage you are eligible for.  They also pay a Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) and a Book stipend up to $1000.00 a year ($41.67 per credit hour).

When you bring your COE to the Veterans Resource Center we will also have you fill out a “Request for Certification” form.  Also, please bring a copy of your Degree Plan.


Transfer of Entitlement under the Post 9/11 GI Bill

If you are a member of the Armed Forces on August 1, 2009, the Department of Defense (DoD) may offer you the opportunity to transfer benefits to your spouse or dependent children.  To be eligible to transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits a Soldier must meet three requirements:

  •  Be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill
  • Have at least 6 years of military service when the request to transfer benefits is submitted (all military service counts toward the six year requirement except time in the IRR).
  • Not have an adverse action flag.

Soldiers who transfer benefits incur an additional service obligation in accordance with the following rules:

Years of Service When Request is Submitted
Additional Service Obligation
At least 6 years but less than 10 years.
4 years from the date the request was submitted.
10 or more years.
4 years or up to Retention Control Point or mandatory Retirement date from the date the request was submitted, whichever is less.

From August 1, 2009 until August 1, 2013 the below temporary rules for additional service obligation apply.  Years of service for the temporary rules is always based on length as of August 1, 2009, regardless of when the request to transfer is submitted

Years of Service as of August 1, 2009
Additional Service Obligation
20 or more years.
No additional service obligation.
Approved retirement with a date from Sept.1, 2009-June 2010.
No additional service obligation.
19 but less than 20 years.
1 year of service from the date the Request was submitted.
18 but less than 19 years.
2 year of service from the date the Request was submitted.
17 but less than 18 years.
3 year of service from the date the Request was submitted.