Frequently Asked Questions


Where should I send my materials?

Be sure to indicate the specific program to which you are applying (Clinical, School, or General) on the "Proposed Area of Study" line.  All application materials should be mailed to the following address:

Office of Graduate Studies
Sam Houston State University

Campus Box 2478
Huntsville, Texas 77341-2478

Should I assemble my materials and send them all at once?

Feel free to send us your materials as they become available. We'll add your documents to your file as they arrive and send your file to our faculty for consideration when it is complete.

What are my chances if my GPA is below 3.0 or my GRE score (the sum of your Verbal and Quantitative scores) is less than 1,000?

We're interested in your current promise for prosperity and success in our programs, and we recognize that people come to us with a variety of backgrounds and histories. If you started poorly as an undergraduate and then came on strong, we'll inspect your GPA in your junior and senior years, paying close attention to the quality of your work in Psychology courses. However, we're able to fill our classes with very talented students; in recent years, incoming students have had mean GPA score of 3.5 and GRE score of 1100. If your numbers fall well below those benchmarks, you may not be invited to join us. Still, the only way to know for sure is to give us the opportunity to inspect your application.

When should I apply?

As soon as possible. We process applications on a rolling basis as they are completed, so the sooner you apply, the sooner you'll know the outcome. Additionally, admission to our programs becomes more competitive as our application deadlines near and fewer places remain to be filled for the upcoming semester. In particular, if you want to join us in the fall, it's usually easier to get an invitation in March and April than it is in June.

Do you use a recommendation form?

Yes. Please provide a copy of the recommendatiion form to each of the individuals who will be writing a letter of support for you.Follow this link to acces the current recommendation form.

Do all my letters have to come from Psychology faculty?

No. Most of the letters we receive do come from Psychology colleagues, and they are often best-suited to describe your potential for graduate study in Psychology. However, if you did not major in Psychology or if you worked closely with someone in another field, a letter from a faculty member in another discipline can serve you well.

Should I get a letter from my employer?

If you have worked in an applied setting related to Psychology, a letter from a supervisor can be useful. On the other hand, if your work had little to do with Psychology, letters from referees who encountered you in an academic setting are probably a better choice.

I've been out of school a long time. Do I still have to get letters from people at my alma mater?

No. However, you should strive to provide letters from objective observers who can speak knowledgeably about your current potential. Do not ask friends or pastors to write letters for you; such letters are rarely of any help to our decision-making.

Can I be a part-time student?

Yes. We welcome part-time students.

How long do I have to complete my degree?

Six years from start to finish.

How long do your programs take?

It's possible to complete the course work for our M.A. in Clinical Psychology in two academic years, but, depending on how much work is completed during the summer, most full-time students take two full years to receive that degree. The School Psychology program requires a minimum of three academic years of full-time study, but the last year is one's PAID internship in a school setting.

Can I complete my degree with night classes?

Yes and No. We offer a M.A. in General Psychology program during weekday evenings at The University Center campus in The Woodlands. Those courses meet one evening a week from 6:00 to 9:00 PM during the fall and spring semesters. However, most of the General, School, and Clinical Psychology classes we offer at the SHSU campus in Huntsville meet during the day. You cannot pursue our School Psychology or Clinical Psychology degrees if you are not available at least part-time during the day.

Do you offer weekend, distance, or on-line courses?


Okay, so when do classes meet?

During the Fall semester, most of our classes meeting at the Huntsville campus are scheduled on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. During the Spring, most classes meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Occasional classes do meet in the evening, but most are scheduled between 9:00 and 5:00.

Do I have to take classes during the summer?

No. We offer courses that allow full-time progress toward your degree during the summer, but we do not require anyone to take classes during the summer.

Can I transfer courses for credit?

Sam Houston State University may accept up to 12 hours of course work completed at other accredited universities toward the Master of Arts degrees in Clinical and General Psychology.  Up to 15 hours of transfer courses may be excepted for the School Psychology Program.  It is relatively easy for us to accept transfer credits that replace electives in our degree plans. If you wish to use transfer credits to replace any of our required courses, you will need to provide documentation of the content of your course (e.g., the course syllabus) to the faculty member who teaches the similar course in the psychology program. Only if our faculty and Dean agree that your transfer course sufficiently duplicates the material required in our program--and notification is made to the Coordinator of Master's Studies of their agreement in writing--will transfer credit be granted.

Is financial aid available?

Yes. The Department of Psychology and Philosophy may award teaching assistantships to qualified students.  Students who have completed at least 18 hours of graduate study may also qualify to serve as the instructor of record for an undergraduate course.  Additionally, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) also offers limited graduate scholarships to highly qualified students.  These scholarships also qualify out-of-state students for in-state tuition. The University maintains an active scholarship program. Check out available scholarships or visit our Financial Aid Office.

How do I apply for a psychology assistantship?

After being accepted into the program, E-mail  application   to