Many of these services are available for anyone regardless of their income level.
Please note: Some of these links may belong in multiple categories.
If you know of a resource that we should add to our list, please let us know.
- Texas Association Against Sexual Assault (TAASA) How to Clear Your Browsing History - Survivors of sexual assault are often concerned about maintaining their privacy concerning the assault. While email and the Internet are useful for communication and learning about sexual assault, they can also lead to breaches in your privacy. This website explains how someone can discover your Internet activities and what you can do to maintain your privacy.
- United Way of Greater Houston database of available resources to area residents
- SHSU Student Health Center - also has information on low cost Student Health Insurance
- RediClinics website
- Walmart's $4 Generic Prescription Drug Program
- Target's $4 Generic Prescription Drug Program
- Kroger's $4 and $10 Generic Prescription Drug Program
- Randall's $4 Generic Prescription Drug Program
- SHSU Counseling Center - Offers personal counseling, outreach/consultation, training programs, and services for students with disabilities. Their website also has Help Screens on many different topics like test anxiety, study skills, eating disorders, love and relationships, and relaxation techniques.
- Montgomery County Womens Center - The Montgomery County Women's Center is a private non-profit organization serving the victims and survivors of family violence, sexual assault, stalking, and sexual abuse in Montgomery, Harris, and Liberty counties through offices in five satellite locations. Our organization is a leader in delivering innovative programs and caring interaction to all victims and survivors whose lives have been touched by violence. The agency is well funded, widely respected, and a successful collaborator working to rebuild lives by putting an end to violence. The Women's Center offers advocasy, counseling, crisis intervention, education, housing, legal, scholarships, and shelter. They also have a 24 hour crisis hotline (936.441.7273)
Rent, Utility Assistance
- Montgomery County Emergency Assistance, Inc. is a private, non-profit agency created in 1981 to serve the residents of Montgomery County, Texas who are experiencing an unexpected financial need or crisis. Their mission is to provide emergency financial assistance to families and individuals to help stabilize situations that threaten their health, safety and well-being.
- Texas Low-Income Energy Programs
- We need resources! Please contact our office if you know of a Public Transportation resource in the area.
- Rita B. Huff Humane Society Free Spay/Neuter Program - available to residents of the City of Huntsville, Walker County, City of Trinity, Trinity County, and the City of Madisonville. This shelter is in Huntsville, TX close to the football stadium on the SHSU campus.
- Project CONNECT's Free Cultural Events list
- Houston for $2 or Less - Free and cheap Houston area attractions and events
- SHSU Student's Legal Services - The mission of Students Legal Services is to provide quality consultation and authoritative resources to students with legal problems. As an integral partner in the educational process, Students Legal Services provides these legal services to foster personal growth and development. This holistic approach in co-curriculum involvement will be accomplished by successfully performing the major goals articulated by Students Legal Services.
- SHSU Student Money Management Center - The SHSU Money Management Center (MMC) is a financial outreach and educational program administered by the Sam Houston State University Division of Student Services. The Mission of the Money Management Center is to improve the financial well-being of our students by providing the unbiased education, counseling, tools, and solutions students need in order to achieve financial independence.