- Why join the BAND?
- Your College Major
- The College Band Experience
- Do we play at ALL football games?
- What are the costs?
- When is summer band?
- So how do I sign up?
- More Questions?
Why Join the Band?
The Bearkat Marching Band is always looking for new members. If you enjoy music, marching, fun, and friends, then the Bearkat Marching Band is the place for you. Need more reasons … here are 10!
Top 10 Reasons to Join the Bearkat Marching Band
- Crazy BEARKAT Spirit!
- 200 instant friends, guaranteed
- Who else pays you to watch football?
- Beat the rush – early dorm move-in!!
- Half the rehearsals, twice the fun!
- Fun shows — no contests
- Meal money provided when the band travels
- Get an awesome tan
- No fundraising, EVER!
AND THE #1 REASON TO JOIN THE BEARKAT MARCHING BAND . . .
- Two words: Toga Bowling
Membership in the Bearkat Marching Band is open to students of all majors. Non-majors are encouraged and welcome. In fact, over 40% of the band is comprised of students majoring in areas other than music.
Being in the Bearkat Marching Band is probably different than what you experienced in high school.
- College marching band is all about energy, excitement, and school spirit. The band plays and the Bearkat football team dances!
- Rather than spending months rehearsing the same show, the Bearkat Marching Band performs several entertaining shows every season. And since there are no contests at the college level, we design our marching shows to please the audience, not judges.
- "Being a non-music major, BMB isn't about completing a credit. It's about the friends and experiences I gain. Plus, you get paid!"
-Grant Pappas, 4 year member, RTV major
- We play constantly – before the game, in the stands, during halftime – we play lots and lots of music!
- Compared to high school, we rehearse half the time! A high school band will typically rehearse 5 hours during the school day and 8 hours after school each week (13 hours). The BMB only rehearses 6 - 7 hours each week, and less if we don't have a game. Because everyone in the band has experience playing and marching, we are able to work quickly, learning music and drill at a much faster pace.
Did we mention 200 guaranteed friends, even before your first class?
We perform at all HOME games during the regular season and playoff games. We also perform at the Battle of the Piney Woods at Reliant Stadium for the SHSU vs. SFA game.
Cheaper than you would think. Members must pay for the following:
- Enrollment in the course (MUEN 1116 01 for brass, woodwinds and color guard; MUEN 1116 02 for percussion). It is a 1-hour credit course.
- Band Activity Fee ($60). This covers various expenses related to summer band & student activities.
- Flip folder and lyre. You probably already have these from high school.
- Marching shoes ($40). We use black MTX marching shoes. If you already own a pair, you're set. If not, you may order them on the Monday of summer band week.
What does the band pay for so that you don't have to?
- Official BMB Shirt
- Your uniform (colorguard, winds, and percussion)
- Food and drinks at every game
- ALL travel expenses
Summer band is traditionally scheduled the week before classes start (August 19 this year), and everyone must attend. We will rehearse during the day and save the evenings for fun activities (Toga Bowling, etc.).
Signing up for the Bearkat Marching Band is easy.
- Enroll in MUEN 1116 01 (CRN 83501) for brass, woodwinds and guard or MUEN 1116 02 (CRN 83502) for percussion -- Freshman must be advised prior to registering. This traditionally occurs during summer orientation.
- Complete the summer band online registration form.
- Continue to check this website for updates!
And you're in … we'll see you at summer band!
Complete an Online Information Request Form and we will contact you with more information.