South-Western, A Part of Cengage Learning, Outstanding Educator
This annual award is sponsored by South-Western, a part of Cengage Learning. The purpose of the Distinguished Educator Award (DEA) is mentoring people to be involved in SWAM. The selection committee is chaired by one of the Reprsentatives at Large. Nominees should:
- Be especially effective at mentoring and developing SWAM graduate students and faculty [getting individuals to attend and participate in SWAM].
- Have been involved in the development, dissemination, and implementation of significant pedagogical innovations.
- Be an exceptionally talented professor in the classroom.
- Have sustained a record of support to SWAM through roles as program reviewer, program participant (discussant, session chair, and/or paper presenter), track chair, and officer, etc.
- Be a recognizable individual in the Management field for teaching, research, and/or service.
- Not currently be a SWAM officer (President, President elect, Program Chair, Program Chair-Elect, Rep-At-Large, Secretary, Treasurer, Newsletter Editor, Historian, Proceedings Editor, Webmaster).
If you would like to nominate someone for this award, please email DEA Chair Dr. Therese Yaeger (firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line ‘SWAM-DEA nomination’) by September 21, 2007, and you will be contacted with next steps, which include:
- A letter of nomination (self or other) containing a detailed summary of the applicant’s teaching, research, and service accomplishments, and SWAM contribution and involvement
- A complete professional vita
- A summary of teaching, research, and service awards and honors received
- A summary of the individual's contributions to and involvement with SWAM
- Recommendation letters (at least three) from colleagues and/or students, at least one of whom should be a SWAM member. Nominations may be carried over from one year to the next
Recent past winners of this award include:
- 2008 - Sherry Sullivan, Bowling Green State University
- 2007 - Shawn Carraher, Cameron University
- 2006 - Jo Ann Duffy, Sam Houston State University
- 2005 - K. Michele Kacmar, University of Alabama
- 2004 - Charlotte Sutton, Auburn University
- 2003 - Geralyn McClure Franklin, University of Texas - Permian Basin
- 2002 - Sandra Hartman, University of New Orleans