- Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- Sam Houston State University
- Huntsville, TX 77341-2206
- Phone: (936) 294-1581
- Fax: (936) 294-1882
- 2004: PhD, Mathematics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- 1999: BS, Mathematics, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, México
- Research Interests
- Algebraic Statistics, Computational Algebraic Geometry, Combinatorial Commutative Algebra
- Assistant Professor, SHSU Department of Mathematics and Statistics (2007 - 2013)
- SAMSI New Researcher Fellow, Statistical and Applied Mathematical Sciences Institute (Spring 2009)
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Texas A&M University (2005 - 2007)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Mathematical Science Research Institute (Fall 2004)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of California, Berkeley (Summer 2004)
- Graduate Research Assistant, Virginia Bioinformatics Institute (Spring 2003)
- Graduate Research Fellow, Physical Science Laboratory (Summer 2000)
- Teaching Activities
during Fall 2015.
- Mentoring Activities
- Minicourse for Undergraduates: An Introduction to the Theory of Sandpiles at the Modern Math Workshop 2015. October 28 - 29, 2015.
- Research Advisor of the MSRI Undergraduate Program (MSRI--UP) 2016 program on sandpile groups. Summer 2016.
- National Alliance for Doctoral Studies in the Mathematical Sciences pre-doctoral mentor.
- Early Career Mathematician Mentor as part of the MAA Early Career Mentoring Network and the Project NExT program.
- Assistant Graduate Coordinator of SHSU's MS in Mathematics Graduate Program.
- Research Activities
- Developer of the algstat package for the free software environment for statistical computing and graphics R.
- Senior developer of the Algebraic
Statistics library for Macaulay2.
- Algebraic Geometry in Algebraic Statistics and Geometric Modeling with Frank Sottile, Alex Diaz, Sarah Spielvogel and Jessica Ellis.
- Small Phylogenetic Trees website. Mentioned in the SIAM News, Volume 40, Number 6, July-August 2007.
- Frontiers of reality in Schubert calculus with Chris Hillar, Abraham Martin del Campo, James Ruffo, Zach Teitler, Steve Johnson and Frank Sottile.
- Polynome: Discrete System Identification with Elena Dimitrova, Franziska Hinkelmann, Abdul Jarrah, Reinhard Laubenbacher, Brandilyn Stigler, Mike Stillman and Paola Vera-Licona.
- Identifying causal effects in graphical models with Sarah Spielvogel and Seth Sullivant.
- Inference of Structure and Dynamics of Molecular Networks with Paola Vera-Licona, Abdul Jarrah, John McGee and Reinhard Laubenbacher
- Editorial Activities
- Associate Editor of the Journal of Algebraic Statistics.
- Associate Editor of the American Mathematical Monthly.
- Member of the SIAM Activity Group in Algebraic Geometry.
- Events of Interest
- AIM SQuaREs on Ideals in Algebraic Systems Biology. September 14-18, 2015.
- Modern Math Workshop 2015. October 28 - 29, 2015.
- BIRS-CMO workshop on sandpile groups. November 15-20, 2015.
- MSRI Undergraduate Program (MSRI--UP) 2016.
- Rebecca Funke (University of Richmond) is a 2015 Goldwater Scholar.
- Megan Chambers (Youngstown State University) won a MAA Undergraduate Student Poster Session Oustanding Presentations award at the 2015 Joint Mathematics Meetings.
- Vince Longo (College of New Jersey) won a 2014 Student Research Presentation Recognition at the 2014 SACNAS National Conference.
- Gautam Webb (Colorado College) won a 2014 Barry Goldwater Honorable Mention.
- Alex Diaz and Andy Howard (Sam Houston State University) won a 2009 MAA Undergraduate Poster Session Prize at the 2009 Joint Mathematics Meetings.
- SIAM News July/August 2007 Issue: Algebraic Geometers See Ideal Approach to Biology.