- Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- Sam Houston State University
- Huntsville, TX 77341-2206
- Phone: (936) 294-1581
- Fax: (936) 294-1882
- 2004: PhD, Mathematics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- 1999: BS, Mathematics, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, México
- Research Interests
- Algebraic Statistics, Computational Algebraic Geometry, Combinatorial Commutative Algebra
- SAMSI New Researcher Fellow, Statistical and Applied Mathematical Sciences Institute (Spring 2009)
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Texas A&M University (2005 - 2007)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Mathematical Science Research Institute (Fall 2004)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of California, Berkeley (Summer 2004)
- Graduate Research Assistant, Virginia Bioinformatics Institute (Spring 2003)
- Graduate Research Fellow, Physical Science Laboratory (Summer 2000)
- Current Teaching Activities
- Teaching Math 2395 and
during Spring 2013.
- Current Research Activities
- Member of the SIAM Activity Group in Algebraic Geometry.
- Senior developer of the Algebraic
Statistics library for Macaulay2.
- Algebraic Geometry in Algebraic Statistics and Geometric Modeling with Frank Sottile, Alex Diaz, Sarah Spielvogel and Jessica Ellis.
- Small Phylogenetic Trees website. Mentioned in the SIAM News, Volume 40, Number 6, July-August 2007.
- Frontiers of reality in Schubert calculus with Chris Hillar, Abraham Martin del Campo, James Ruffo, Zach Teitler, Steve Johnson and Frank Sottile.
- Polynome: Discrete System Identification with Elena Dimitrova, Franziska Hinkelmann, Abdul Jarrah, Reinhard Laubenbacher, Brandilyn Stigler, Mike Stillman and Paola Vera-Licona.
- Identifying causal effects in graphical models with Sarah Spielvogel and Seth Sullivant.
- Inference of Structure and Dynamics of Molecular Networks with Paola Vera-Licona, Abdul Jarrah, John McGee and Reinhard Laubenbacher
- Events of Interest
- Algebraic Statistics in the Alleghenies at The
Pennsylvania State University. June 8 - 15, 2012.
- SIGGRAPH 2012. Los Angeles Convention Center, Los Angeles, CA. August 5 - 9, 2012.
- MSRI Program on Commutative Algebra, Berkeley, CA, August, 2012 - May 2013.
- Workshop on Algebraic Geometry and Geometric Modeling,BIRS, Banff Canada, 27 January–1 February 2013.
Congress of the Americas 2013 Guanajuato, Mexico, August 5-9, 2013.
- SIAM Conference on Applied Algebraic Geometry, Colorado State University, Fot Collins, CO, August 1 - 4, 2013.
- For manufacturing jobs, workers brush up on math
- Mathematician is the best job! See the news article or the study results.
- Alex and Andy were among the 2009 MAA Undergraduate Poster Session Prize winners.
- SIAM News July/August 2007 Issue: Algebraic Geometers See Ideal Approach to Biology.