- Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- Sam Houston State University
- Huntsville, TX 77341-2206
- Phone: (936) 294-1581
- Fax: (936) 294-1882
- 2004: PhD, Mathematics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- 1999: BS, Mathematics, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, México
- Research Interests
- Algebraic Statistics, Computational Algebraic Geometry, Combinatorial Commutative Algebra
- Associate Professor, SHSU Department of Mathematics and Statistics (2013 - )
- Assistant Graduate Coordinator of SHSU's MS in Mathematics Graduate Program (2014 - )
- Assistant Professor, SHSU Department of Mathematics and Statistics (2007 - 2013)
- SAMSI New Researcher Fellow, Statistical and Applied Mathematical Sciences Institute (Spring 2009)
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Texas A&M University (2005 - 2007)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Mathematical Science Research Institute (Fall 2004)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of California, Berkeley (Summer 2004)
- Graduate Research Assistant, Virginia Bioinformatics Institute (Spring 2003)
- Graduate Research Fellow, Physical Science Laboratory (Summer 2000)
Math 1332 (online)
during Spring 2017.
- National Alliance for Doctoral Studies in the Mathematical Sciences pre-doctoral mentor.
- Early Career Mathematician Mentor as part of the MAA Early Career Mentoring Network and the Project NExT program.
- Editorial Activities
- Associate Editor of the Journal of Algebraic Statistics.
- Associate Editor of the American Mathematical Monthly.
- Contributing Editor of the AMS blog On Teaching and Learning Mathematics.
- Events of Interest
The Algebraic Statistics workshop at the Oberwolfach Research Institute for Mathematics will take place on April 16 - 22, 2017.
The International Conference on Effective Methods in Algebraic Geometry MEGA 2017 will take place in Nice (France), June 12 - 16, 2017.
The second Mathematical Congress of the Americas will take place in Montreal, Canada on July 24 - 27, 2017.
The SIAM Conference on Applied Algebraic Geometry will take place at the Georgia Institute of Technology on July 31 - August 4, 2017.
Watch my Numberphile video on sandpiles.
Featured mathematician in the American Mathematical Society' Lathisms project.
- Rebecca Funke (University of Richmond) is a 2015 Goldwater Scholar.
- Megan Chambers (Youngstown State University) won a MAA Undergraduate Student Poster Session Oustanding Presentations award at the 2015 Joint Mathematics Meetings.
- Vince Longo (College of New Jersey) won a 2014 Student Research Presentation Recognition at the 2014 SACNAS National Conference.
- Gautam Webb (Colorado College) won a 2014 Barry Goldwater Honorable Mention.
- Alex Diaz and Andy Howard (Sam Houston State University) won a 2009 MAA Undergraduate Poster Session Prize at the 2009 Joint Mathematics Meetings.
- SIAM News July/August 2007 Issue: Algebraic Geometers See Ideal Approach to Biology.