- Dr. Janis White is the invited speaker to the Award Banquet honoring this year’s SHSU recipients of the Who’s Who in American University and Colleges Award. The banquet is scheduled for Thursday, March 29 in the Lowman Student Center Ballroom.
- The department Spring Reception is scheduled for Tuesday, April 24 at the Gibbs Conference Center within the Katy and E. Don Walker Education Center of the Sam Houston Museum. Dr. Valencia Browning-Keen is working with SHSDA students and organization presidents to prepare that that event. Stay tuned for more information!
- Drs. Valencia Browning-Keen and Paula Tripp have received notice that proposals for presentations at the International Federation of Home Economics World Congress have been accepted, and they are planning to attend that conference which will held in Melbourne, Australia this coming July!
- The FACS 2441 Meal Management in Hospitality class for Spring 2012 will be preparing the food for the Wall of Honor reception in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences on March 23! The class is working to prepare a variety of finger foods, etc., for the reception.
- Scholarship applications for departmental scholarships for the 2012-2013 year are due by March 26!! The department is fortunate to have a large number of generous and interested scholarship donors; a list of scholarships is posted under a separate Scholarship button on the FCS Home page. Interested and qualified students should apply through Scholar X. See instructions for using Scholar X on the SHSU website.
- Fashion Merchandising Club is working with Mass Communication major and FCS minor Stephanie Coffman to produce a fashion show that will be held in conjunction with the viewing of the documentary Miss Representation; the topic is women dressing in a businesslike manner for the workplace. The event will take place on April 5 in the Gaertner Performing Arts Center. A panel that includes Ms. Shelby Brock will answer student questions following the viewing of the documentary.
- Drs. Griggs and White will be taking a large group of fashion merchandising majors and minors to the annual Career Day sponsored by the Fashion Group International of Dallas at the World Trade Center in Dallas on April 13, 2012.
- For the second year in a row, the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences will be hosting the Breeding and Associates Review Course here in the department May 24-26. This review course is taken by dietetic interns prior to taking the Registration Examination for Dietetics (RD Exam). DI Director Heather Frazier reports that “We are excited to be selected once again to host this event.” Dietetic interns from the Greater Houston Metropolitan Area will be in attendance.