18 Credit Hours
The Teacher Certification is designed to provide students with the necessary training, including an internship/student teaching, required for teaching in Texas public schools. The certification may be completed through either undergraduate or graduate level courses. Both options meet all state mandates for certification; however, the graduate level courses may later be applied towards a master's degree.
This certification program may be completed in 12, 18, or 24 months, depending on your first semester of enrollment.
The Teacher Certification is also offered in coordination with the MEd in Curriculum & Instruction.
Fall, Spring, Summer
Tuition and Cost
Additional Program Information
- Graduate Studies Application
- Application Fee
- Official transcript from the baccalaureate degree granting institution
- Overall GPA of 2.5 or higher
- For a single field certification, e.g. History, you need at least 24 hours of the teaching field coursework with at least a 2.5 GPA in those 24 hours.
- For the Science Composite, you need coursework from Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Geology. At least 16 hours of the 52 hours must be from one of the sciences, and 12 hours of the 16 hours must be 300 or 400 level courses. You need at least a 2.5 GPA in those 52 hours.
Note: Applicants must also contact the program advisor to complete a certification plan.