- Graduate Studies Application
- Application Fee
- Official transcript from the baccalaureate degree granting institution
- Writing sample
- Two recommendation letters that speak to the student's critical thinking skills, analytical writing skills, and quantitative skills
- Official GRE or GMAT scores
- Executive students with at least 10 years of full-time professional experience and a cumulative GPA of 3.2 may submit a writing sample in lieu of the GRE or GMAT. The writing sample must demonstrate the student’s critical thinking and analytical writing skills, contain references to empirical information, conceptual frameworks, etc., and include empirical and quantitative driven analysis.
NOTE: Students who are submitting a writing sample in lieu of the GRE or GMAT should send a copy of their writing sample to Dr. Waggener. Writing samples should be submitted at the beginning of the application process as not all writing samples will meet the requirements and students whose writing samples fail to meet the requirements will need time to schedule the GRE or the GMAT prior to the application deadline.
Master of Public Administration (MPA)
36 Credit Hours
The Master of Public Administration is designed for those seeking a career in public service and those wanting to enhance their current career. The program prepares professionals for work in the public sector, nonprofit organizations, and many areas of business. A concentration of 12 hours is required with this degree. The department offers concentrations in disaster and emergency management (online), state and local government (traditional classroom setting), and comparative and international politics (traditional classroom setting). A student may, with the permission of the graduate director, pursue a concentration in other disciplines deemed more relevant to the student’s professional goals. Students who lack relevant job experience will be required to complete a 3 hour internship course.
For application deadlines, contact the Graduate Director.
Fall, Spring, Summer
Tuition and Cost
Additional Program Information
Recent Graduate Testimonial
"My two and half years as a student in the master of public administration program greatly enriched my intellectual and cultural life. The international and global orientation of the program content and the diversity of the department faculty provides a welcoming environment for international students such as myself. The program and faculty have helped me fulfill my professional goals. I am grateful to my professors and the entire department faculty for all of their help and support."
Wanjing Wang, M.P.A, '10