Master of Arts (MA)
36 Credit Hours
The Master of Arts in English is designed to prepare students for doctoral work, improve the professional competence of public school teachers, ready promising scholars for college teaching, advance the skills of creative and professional writers, and train students whose careers require advanced verbal and analytical abilities. For this degree there are two plans:
- MA Plan I - (Thesis or Non-Thesis / No Minor) - Designed for students planning to pursue graduate degrees beyond the MA (PhD or MFA); for individuals preparing to teach two-year college English; and for high school instructors wishing to increase their depth and expertise in their teaching specialties.
- MA Plan II - (Non-thesis Only) - Designed for teachers who seek preparation in two areas. Under this plan, students take a twenty-four English major and a twelve-hour minor in another graduate field.
Fall, Spring, Summer
Tuition and Cost
Additional Program Information
- Graduate Studies Application
- Application Fee
- Official transcript from the baccalaureate degree granting institution
- Students must have at least twelve hours of upper-division undergraduate English courses with a 3.0 GPA or better
- Official GRE scores (the subject test in English is not required)
- Three recommendation letters that discuss the applicant's suitability for graduate study in English
- Critical writing sample (at least ten pages)
Note: Applicants interested in the creative writing emphasis may submit a creative writing sample in addition to the critical writing sample.