Student Teacher Application Orientation
Confirmation Application periods: Application opens after the last orientation of Content and Secondary Methods student for one week in August (for Spring student teachers) or January (for Fall student teachers). (Submit to OFE, Rm 212-TEC, Educator Preparation Services adjacent to the elevator)
Students are responsible for all information on the SHSU Website related to Student Teaching (This is only a guide-access the Educator Preparation Services Website for complete information) http://www.shsu.edu/~edu_edprep (“bookmark” this address)
1. BEFORE APPLYING, Know the Following:
WHAT - Major, Certification Level, and Teaching Field
- Certification Level: EC-6, 4-8 Dual, 4-8 Math, 8-12, EC-12, 6-12, 7-12
WHERE – Give thought to personal situations and financial issues when making Student Teaching placement requests.
- Links to school districts in the Sam Houston Partnership can be found on the Student Teaching portion of the Ed Prep Services website.
2. DO THE FOLLOWING:
Update All SHSU Information and Technology
- Update addresses/phone numbers; bookmark Ed Prep Services Website in your web browser
- Maintain and regularly check SHSU account. We communicate with you via SHSU e-mail.
- Avoid Challenges by carefully reading ALL information on ALL of the Ed Prep Services web pages and follow instructions and timelines.
Access, Complete & Submit Student Teaching Applications
- A Student Teaching Application is a professional reflection of the applicant.
- A second criminal history background check will be completed on all student teachers
- REQUIRED: Print, sign and submit to OFE (TEC 217 – Ed Prep Help Desk) 2 ORGINAL COLOR copies of SAMWEB Application
- REQUIRED: Create a Student Teaching Application in Tk20 (on Tk20 homepage click Applications Tab, click Create and respond to all items and click submit)
3. BE PROFESSIONAL:
- Be proactive. Use all available resources from the Ed Prep Website to meet all professional obligations and deadlines. Don’t depend solely on your Methods Instructors or e-mail for reminders.
- Register for Student Teaching Courses when registrations opens.
- Check the Field Experience Calendar for Links and Updates.
- Fall 2012 Student Teacher Orientation and Companion Courses (Early August prior to regular class schedule)
4. FINAL NOTES:
- Watch for graduation advisement reminder emails.
- Access DegreeWorks to verify degree requirements are met.
- Take Representative Form and Content & PPR TExES.
Note: Some financial aid programs (i.e. Pell Grant) may not recognize our program’s position (see SHSU Catalog): “Student Teaching Block is considered a FULL LOAD at SHSU” and “Candidates registered for nine hours during the student teaching semester are considered to be full-time students by SHSU.” This may result in a reduction of financial aid. Students with questions should contact the SHSU financial aid office.