SPED 2301 Substitution Information
Criteria for Substituting Other Experiences for Required SPD231 Level I Field Experience Hours
Possible 5 Hours for Aides
READ THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY BEFORE CONTACTING THE OFFICE OF FIELD EXPERIENCE.
The Office of Field Experience MAY allow students to substitute up to:
*5 HOURS of other experience WITH SPECIAL EDUCATION STUDENTS as a current public school CLASSROOM TEACHER AIDE for SPED 2301 Field Experience.
** Letterhead documentation is required and AEIS reports may be required for all substitutions (see step 3 below).
THE DEADLINE TO SUBMIT ALL SUBSTITUTION DOCUMENTATION OCCURS A FEW DAYS AFTER ORIENTATION. SEE Level I F.E. Calendar.
1. Immediately following their field experience orientation during the first week of school, students must email a request to the Level One Field Experience Coordinator (X-1157) that:
a) identifies your course and section (i.e. SPED 2301.01)
b) briefly justifies why the substitution should be considered and how it is similar to the required field experience for the course
c) briefly describes the experience (include days, dates, district, campus, grade-level, subject information, name and contact information of supervisor)
d) includes personal contact information (email, phone numbers, Sam ID#)
2. After submitting the request, the student will receive initial approval via email to proceed with the appeal if proposed substitution is viable. Due to time constraints, students should immediately contact the campus where the "other" experience occurred to request letterhead documentation (See #3 for details).
3. Students will also submit a brief letter - on school district or campus letterhead (fax or email will NOT be accepted)-signed by a campus/district official-that verifies the dates, time, grade level and nature of the experience. This documentation AND the AEIS report, which may be required, must be submitted to the Level One Field Experience Coordinator in the Teacher Education Center, room 212 (TEC 212) by the deadline. See the Level I F.E. Calendar.
4. Students are required to complete the Field Experience Profile for all field experience hours (including substituted hours.)
5. If the substitution is not approved and/or documentation is not received by the deadline, the student will be required to register for and complete all ten hours of the required field experience.
NOTE: Students that substitute five hours are still responsible for registering and completing the other five hours of required Field Experience at another school district according to the guidelines.