Steps for Successful Professional Certification
- Complete your program requirements
- Attend a review (if required)
- Take the practice test (if required and any other related examinations) and obtain departmental test approval
- Update TEA account
- Register for and pass the appropriate TExES test(s)
- When TExES score is received:
- Passing Score - Log onto Educator Certification Online System (ECOS) and apply for professional certification
- Non-Passing Score - Contact the program department (for example:
Approximately two (2) weeks after graduation your degree will be conferred and during the following four (4) weeks the certification officer will recommend you to TEA, provided you have taken and passed all required TExES tests. You will receive an email from TEA concerning your recommendation.
Apply at: Educator Certification Online System (ECOS)
- Effective September 1, 2010, the Texas Education Agency will no longer mail printed certificates. A “printer-friendly” copy of the certificate will be accessible through the educator’s online account. This version of the certificate will be created to provide the educator with a document suitable for framing. The representation of a person’s certificate status as maintained on the agency’s website is considered to be the official record of educator certification.
- School districts may confirm the approval of your virtual certification on the ECOS website
Contact the Certification Officer telephone: 936-294-1045