Japan Study Abroad 2014
Toyo Gakuin University
July 3 – July 25, 2014 - (Summer II)
February 7th, Friday Deadline for Early Bird Sign-Up Special of only $100. After 2/7 the sign-up will be $200.
February 28th, Friday Last day to sign up for 2014 Japan Study Abroad Program for $200 sign-up fee.
March 7th, Friday Deadline for first payment of $800.
March 20th, Thursday Orientation Meeting – 3:30 to 4:30 pm. Location TBA.
May 2nd, Friday Deadline for final payment of $800.
July 3 – 4 Travel to Tokyo, Japan.
July 24 – July 25 Return flight to Texas.
ECON 3341: Comparative Economics Systems*
The focus of this course will be the evolution of the economic system in Japan. In particular, it will discuss the economic history of Japan since the beginning of the seventeenth century, and the economic growth and business cycle fluctuations during the post-war period. It will also include discussions on the financial system and monetary policy, industrial structure and policy, public finance and fiscal policy, and international trade
and finance in Japan.
ECON 4380: Problems in Economics: International Perspectives*
This course will focus on issues of international importance that relate to Japan and the U.S. This is a general course listing; please see the Department Chair of Economics and International Business for the possibility of substituting this course for other economics courses required by your degree plan.
*The classes will comprise lectures by the instructor, invited scholars from Japanese academia, businesses, and governments; and visits to historical and business sites.
· $1,600 program fee + sign-up fee ($100 or $200, see schedule above)
· Tuition for 6 SHSU credit hours
· Airfare (approximately $1,700 - 2,500 for a Houston/Tokyo round-trip flight, depending on time of booking and airline).
· Food and any other personal expenses.
· This cost estimate includes housing accommodations for the duration of the trip, arranged field trips, and arranged guest lectures.
Scholarships - There are two scholarship opportunities:
1. The College of Business Administration (COBA) gives scholarships to all current business majors to go on this study abroad program. Eligible students will receive between $1,000 and $1,600 - depending on their SHSU GPA.
2. The Office of International Programs (OIP) gives merit-based scholarships to eligible students. Funding is limited, and awards are given on a first-come-first-serve basis! See the OIP Scholarship webpage for details: http://www.shsu.edu/~int_www/abroad/scholarships.html.
· You will be able to use your financial aid to pay for the courses offered in this program.
· Our housing accommodations (tentatively): http://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp/jimbocho
1. It is a lifetime opportunity –
ü To experience and learn about the rich Japanese culture.
ü To get an exposure to Japanese economy and businesses.
ü To visit historic sites and learn about Japanese history.
3. It will enhance your career opportunities. Your exposure to Japan and, in particular, to Japanese business environment will be an attractive credential for many jobs that require an understanding of global business environment.
What do you need to do Check List:
______ Talk to Dr. Frank to let him know you want to sign up.
______ Pay the sign-up fee of $100 by February 7, 2014, or $200 between February 8 and February 28. Pay sign-up fee directly to the Bursar’s Office in the Estill Building. Tell the Bursar’s Staff you are paying for Summer II Study Abroad – Japan 2014.
______ Apply for OIP and COBA scholarships.
______ Fill out all forms required by SHSU. The forms are found in the Office of International Programs/Study Abroad site under Documents for Students. Turn in completed and signed forms (in black ink) to the Office of International Programs.
______ Get your passport by April 1 if you do not already have one. If you are an American citizen, you will not need a visa to go to Japan.
If you do not hold an American passport, please visit:
http://www.houston.us.embjapan.go.jp/index_e.htm to determine if you would need a visa.
______ Make payments before the two payment deadlines
______ Sign up for the two summer classes.
Contact Dr. Mark W. Frank at email@example.com , 936-294-4890, or stop by the office SHB 237-K.
The Office of International Programs in the Farrington Building, 936-294-4737 or 936-294-4611.
REMEMBER THE DEADLINES!!!
February 7, 2014 – Deadline for the $100 Early Bird Special.
February 28, 1014 – Deadline for Sign-Up by paying $200 sign-up fee.
March 7, 2014 – Deadline for 1st payment of $800.