Hiranya K Nath
Professor of Economics
Department of Economics and Intl. Business
College of Business Administration
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX 77341-2118
Fax : 936-294-3488
241E, Smith-Hutson Business Building (map)
My Cyber Locations:
My Official Page at SHSU ECOGoogle Scholar
BE Press Selected Works
Primary Research Interests: Monetary Economics, Macroeconomic Time Series Analysis
Specific Research Interests: Disaggregate Price Behavior
Other Research Interests: Information Economics
Published and Forthcoming
- "A note on the cyclical behavior of sectoral employment in the U.S." Economic Analysis and Policy 50, 52-61, 2016
- "Health costs of arsenic contamination of drinking water in Assam, India." (with Ratul Mahanta and Jayashree Chowdhury) Economic Analysis and Policy 49, 32-49, 2016
- "Comparative Advantages in U.S. Bilateral Services Trade with China and India." (with Lirong Liu and Kiril Tochkov) Journal of Asian Economics 38, 79-92, 2015.
- "Real Exchange Rate Dynamics: Evidence from India." (with Natalie Hegwood) Economic Analysis and Policy 44(4), 396-404, 2014
- "Natural Resources and Sustainable Development." Journal of Global Studies, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1 - 20, 2014. (Working Paper Version)
- “City Relative Price Dynamics in Australia: Are Structural Breaks Important?” (with Jayanta Sarkar) The Economic Record, Vol. 90, No. 288, 33-48, 2014.
- “Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and Trade in Emerging Market Economies.” (with Lirong Liu) Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, Vol. 49, No. 6, 67-87, 2013. (A longer working paper version)
- “Structural Breaks and Relative Price Convergence among U.S. Cities.” (with Natalie D. Hegwood) Journal of Macroeconomics, Vol. 36, No.1,150-160, 2013.
- “Relative Inflation Dynamics in the New EU Member Countries of Central and Eastern Europe.” (with Kiril Tochkov) Empirical Economics, Vol. 45, No. 1, 1 - 22 (Lead Article), 2013.
- "Remittances and Relative Prices" (with Carlos Vargas-Silva) Review of Development Economics, Vol. 16, No. 1, 45-61, 2012.
- “ICT Capital and Employment of Information Workers: Are They Related?” International Journal of Engineering Managment and Economics, Vol. 2, No. 2/3, 111-131, 2011.
- "Relative Price Convergence Among US Cities: Does the Numeraire City Matter?" (with Viera Chmelarova) Journal of Macroeconomics, Vol.32, No. 1, 405-414, 2010.
- "The Implications of a South-South Customs Union on Tariffs, Welfare, and the Prospectof Global Free Trade." (with Halis M. Yildiz) Journal of Business Strategies, Vol. 27, No. 1, 75-91, 2010.
- "Workers' Migration and Remittances in Bangladesh." (with Khawaja A. Mamun) Journal of Business Strategies, Vol.27, No. 1, 29 - 52, 2010.
- "Do regions matter for the behavior of city relative prices in the U. S.?" (with Viera Chmelarova) The Empirical Economics Letters, Vol. 8, No. 11, 2009.
- “Unbiased Estimation of the Half-Life to Price Index Convergence among US Cities.” (with Jayanta Sarkar) Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol. 41, No. 5, 1041 - 1046, 2009.
- "International Productivity Differences and Roles of Domestic Investment, FDI and Trade." (with Gouranga G. Das and Halis M Yildiz) , International Economic Journal, Vol. 23, No. 1, 121-142, 2009.
- "Country Risk Analysis: A Survey of the Quantitative Methods." Economia Internazionale/International Economics, Vol. LXII, No. 1, 69-94, 2009.
- "Trade, Foreign Direct Investment and Growth: Evidence from Transition Economies." Comparative Economic Studies, Vol. 51, No. 1, 20-50, 2009.
- "Information Services in the US Economy: Value, Jobs, and Management Implications" (with Uday Apte and Uday Karmarkar), California Management Review, Vol. 50, No.3, 12-30, 2008. [Listed as one of the noteworthy articles from the business journals by The Economist, June 2008]
- "Inflation and Relative Price Variability in Mexico: The Role of Remittances" (with J. Ulyses Balderas) , Applied Economics Letters, Vol. 15, No. 3, 181-185, 2008.
- "Trade, Growth, and Wage Inequality in Bangladesh" (with Khawaja A Mamun), Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, Vol. 16. No.4, 505-528, 2007
- "Diminishing Marginal Impatience: Its Promises for Asset Pricing" (with Jayanta Sarkar), Applied Financial Economics Letters, Vol.2, No.1, 61-64, 2006
- "Small Menu Costs and Large Business Cycles: An Extension of the Mankiw Model" (with Robert Stretcher), Journal of Economics and Economic Education Research, Vol.6,No.2, 21-32, 2005
- "Export-led Growth in Bangladesh: A Time Series Analysis" (with Khawaja A Mamun), Applied Economics Letters, Vol.12, No. 6, 361-364, 2005
- "Assessing Cross-Industry Effects of B2B e-Commerce" (with Uday M. Apte) Journal of Strategic E-Commerce, Vol.2, No.2, 51-80, 2004
- "Relative Importance of Sectoral and Aggregate Sources of Price Changes," Applied Economics ,Vol.36, No.16, 1781-1796, 2004
- "Inflation and Relative Price Variability: Short-Run vs. Long-Run," Economics Letters , Vol.82, No.3, 363-369, 2004
- "Relative Price Changes as Supply Shocks: Evidence from U.S. Cities" Quarterly Journal of Business and Economics, Vol.41, Nos.3 and 4, 3-20, 2004
- “The US Information Economy: Value, Employment, Industry Structure, and Trade.” (with Uday M. Apte and Uday S. Karmarkar) Foundations and Trends in Technology, Information and Operations Management, Vol. 6, No. 1, 1-180 (2012)
Book Chapters and Other Publications
- "Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in India's Retail Sector." Space and Culture, India, Vol 1, No. 1, 2013 (Review Article)
- “U.S. Trade in Information-Intensive Services” (with Uday M. Apte) In U.S. Karmarkar and V. Mangal (eds): The UCLA Anderson Business and Information Technologies (BIT) Project: A Global Study of Business Practice, Singapore: World Scientific Books, (2012).
- “Relative Inflation Dynamics in the EU Accession Countries of Central and Eastern Europe.” (with Kiril Tochkov) Bulgarian National Bank Discussion Paper DP/84/2011
- "The Size, Structure and Growth of the U.S. Information Economy." (with Uday M. Apte) in U.M. Apte and U.S. Karmakar (eds): Managing in the Information Economy: Current Research Issues, Springer Science and Business Media, LLC, Norwell , MA , (2007) (Abstract) (Also, a BIT Working Paper at UCLA Anderson School of Management)
- "The Rise of an Enclave Economy." in Alokesh Barua (ed): India's Northeast: Development Issues in a Historical Perspective, Manohar - Centre De Sciences Humaines, 2005
- "Service Industries in Today's Information Economy." (with Uday M. Apte) in Proceedings of Service Operations Management Conference August 2000
- "Development Dynamics at the Margin." Space and Culture, India, Vol. 1, No. 3, 2014 (Editorial)
- "Special Issue on Migration, Remittances, and Regional Trade Agreements: An Introduction.” Journal of Business Strategies, Vol. 27, No. 1, 1-6 (Spring 2010)
- Book Review of Multinational Enterprises in Asian Development by Prema-chandra Athukorala. Cheltenham (UK) and Northampton (USA): Edward Elgar, 2007, xv, 282 pp. Journal of Asian Business (forthcoming)
- "Special Issue on Migration and Remittances: An Introductory Note” Journal of Business Strategies, Vol. 26, No. 1, 1-7 (Spring 2009)
- "The Information Society” SIBCOLTEJO – A Journal of Sibsagar College Teachers’ Unit, Vol. IV, 19 -29 (2008)
- “The Growth of Information-Intensive Services in the U.S. Economy.” (with Uday M. Apte and Uday S. Karmarkar)
- “Illegal Migration into Assam: Magnitude, Causes, and Economic Consequences” (with Suresh Kr. Nath) (January 2011)
- "Simulation of FOMC Meeting: Learning about Monetary Policy by Doing." (March 2005)
- "Foreign direct investment and inequality in productivity across countries." (with Gouranga G. Das and Halis M. Yildiz) (January 2005)
- “The Effect of a Discount Rate on Price Change Behavior: An Empirical Analysis” (with Robert Stretcher) (February 2004)
- "Nominal Price Rigidities in a Multisector Model." (with Nathan S. Balke) (October 2003)
- "Sectoral Price Changes and Output growth: Supply and Demand in General Equilibrium." (with Nathan S. Balke) (February 2003)
- "Relative Efficiency of Small Scale Industries in India: An Inter-State Comparison." (September 1997)
Works in Progress
- “Inflation and Relative Price Dynamics across the U.S. Cities” (with Kiril Tochkov)
- “Remittances and Borrowing in Bangladesh” (with Khawaja A. Mamun and Carlos Vargas-Silva)
- “Occupational Concentration and Wages” (with Dipanwita Sarkar)
- “Price Differences across Colombian Cities: Gravity or the Guerillas?” (with Isabel Ruiz)
- “Do relative prices of nontraded goods explain relative movements in price indices across U.S. cities?” (with Jayanta Sarkar)
- “Dowry, Parental Decision, and Female Higher Education in India” (with Jayanta Sarkar)
- “On Business-cycle Asymmetries of the Relationship between Inflation and Relative Price Variability”
- Cotton College: the road to varsity The Assam Tribune, August 29, 2011
- Business Lessons at the Bottom of the Pyramid Friends, vol. II (2011), pp. 75 -76
- On Education and School Teachers in Assam Luitor Pora Mississippi (2009) and Friends, vol. II (2011), pp. 25 -27.
- A few thoughts on higher education in Assam Luit to Thames (2009)
- On Economic Growth and Development of Assam Luitor Pora Mississippi (2008), pp. 23 - 25.
- Reflections on the Elusive Quest for Assam's Growth and Economic Development Luit to Thames (2008), pp. 178-179.
List of Citations at Google Scholar
Upcoming Seminars and Conferences
Study Abroad Program in Japan, Summer II, 2012
Conference on Regional Trade Agreements, Migration, and Remittances, Sam Houston State University, April 12-13, 2008
- ECON 2301: Principles of Macroeconomics (Access through Balckboard)
- ECON 4373: Monetary Economics (Access through Balckboard)
- ECON 5300: Economic Principles and Policy (Access through Balckboard)
For (Young) Economists
Ranking of the Economics Journals, Economics Departments and Economists
- Journal Quality List, Thirty-eight Edition, 4 February 2011
- European Economic Association Supported Study (at Leicester University Website) (at University of Cyprus Website) (at University of Guelph Website)
- Royal Econometric Society's Ranking of Econmetric Journals and Authors
- Tinbergen Institute Ranking
- Ranking of Researchers in Economics
Recipes for Publication
- How to publish in top journals?
- If your paper has been rejected, do not get upset. Here is why!
Media Guide for Economists
Assam Scholarship Fund
SHSU Economics Working Papers
Do you want to know what was your money worth in 1920? Try THIS!
Meet the Economics Nobel Laureate
..not so serious stuff...
The Poetry Box
Countries that I have visited
States of the US that I have visited
From my kitchen
Portrait of 'an ECONOMIST
Do you check your e-mail every 5 minutes?
DisclaimerThe contents of this page is the sole responsibility of Hiranya K Nath, and do not necessarily represent the opinions or policies of Sam Houston State University. This page is maintained by Hiranya Nath who may be contacted at email@example.com