Accredited by the American Psychological Association
For specific information on the Thesis Process, please review Master's Thesis from the Handbook.
Direction on thesis preparation, submission of final copies and deadlines can be found through the following sites:
1. Student selects a topic and assembles a committee .
- Complete Appointment of Thesis Committee Form. Obtain signatures from Graduate Advisor (DCT), Department Chair and the Dean’s Office, prior to proposing your thesis. The Dean’s Office will keep the completed/signed form.
If a committee member will be someone outside of Sam Houston State University, please make sure to complete the Non SHSU Employee on Thesis/Dissertation Committee Request form, obtain signatures, attach non-SHSU committee member’s CV, and submit for approval to the Dean of Graduate Studies. Graduate Studies will forward the approved form to the Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program (form will remain in student file).
2. Pass Capstone (equivalent to Master's Comprehensive Exam).
(This needs to be completed by the deadline on the CHSS webpage. Some students might complete the comprehensive exams after the proposal defense.) The Report of Comprehensive Exam will be sent to the Dean's office after passing Capstone.
3. Submit draft of proposal to thesis committee.
4. Submit IRB application (human subject approval). You must have IRB approval before collection data.
5. Work with Director on thesis.
6. Submit draft to thesis committee.
7. Check the Graduate Studies website for specific timeline dates.
8. Submit draft to Library for approval of basic style and format (6 weeks prior to graduation).
10. Submit approved draft to Thesis Clerk in the Library (with changes, if any, from defense). Make changes as requested by the Library.
11. Once final approval has been received by the Library, copies should be made (preferably by Sam Houston Press & Copy Center). Take final copy (on bonded paper), approval sheet (on bonded paper), extra abstract (on bonded paper) and Route Sheet to the Library for signature.
12. Take Route Sheet to Graduate Studies Office.
13. Graduate Studies will hand-deliver Route Sheet to the Registrar’s Office.
*Note: Please make sure Program Secretary receives a copy of each signed form.