On-Campus Interviewing Guidelines & Policies
On-Campus Interviewing is an opportunity for you to begin the formal interview process. Each year, numerous employing organizations interview Sam Houston State University students and alumni for a variety of entry-level positions. Typically, employers visit the campus during the fall and spring semesters to recruit for full-time and often, internship positions. The key to a successful interviewing experience is preparation! Remember these interviews are not practice sessions. In order to better prepare students for interviewing on-campus, necessary information and policies have been provided. Please read carefully. Should you have any questions, please contact the Career Services office at (936) 294-1713.
To participate in on-campus interviews, you:
- Must be completing a Sam Houston State University degree or you must be an alumnus of the university.
- Must read and agree to abide by the Student Guidelines for Participation in the On-Campus Interviewing Program - remember, we want this to be a positive experience both for you and for our visiting employers! You are also in many ways, an ambassador representing SHSU - First impressions count!
- Must register, create a profile, and upload a resume onto "JOBS for KATS" (See our sample resumes).
- Must meet the minimum requirements specified by the employer (major, GPA, graduation date, etc.).
- Must schedule your own appointment through "JOBS for KATS" by following the instructions on the website.
Before the Interview
- Prepare yourself: Think of examples of your skills, abilities, interest, etc. If you feel unprepared for your interview, schedule an appointment to meet with a Career Advisor at Career Services or set-up a mock interview.
- Research the company: Never interview with a company without researching that company first. Materials provided by companies are available in the Career Library. You may also research the companies on the Career Library student computers.
- Formulate several questions to ask the recruiter: Rehearse these questions in your mind prior to interviewing. Do not carry a list of questions into the interview. Your questions should focus on topics, such as future goals, work environment, training, etc. Never ask question regarding benefits, salary, or fast tracking.
- Information sessions: Many employers conduct information sessions to inform you about their opportunities. It reflects well on you and the University to attend these functions.
Day of the Interview
- Arrive at the Career Services office 10-15 minutes before your interview time.
- Check in with the front desk staff when you arrive.
- Leave any items that you do not want to take into the interview with the front desk staff.
- Bring additonal resumes, an official transcript, and copies of your official transcript to your interview.
- Dress professionally.
After the Interview
- At the conclusion of the interview, be sure to know how the company will follow-up.
- Send a thank-you note within 24-48 hours of your interview. View a sample thank-you letter.
- Contact Career Services when you receive a job offer.
- Ethical standards require that you withdraw from campus interviews once you have accepted a job offer from an employer.
Cancellation & No-Show Policy
- If it is necessary to cancel, please do so as far in advance as possible, but no later than 2 working days before the interview. Interview spots are in high demand, and your early cancellation will give other SHSU students an opportunity to meet with the employer.
- If you need to cancel after the sign-up deadline has passed, call (936) 294-1713 or stop by the Career Services office. You cannot cancel via e-mail.
- Late Cancellation is any cancellation received on the working day before or on the day of the interview.
- No-Show is failure to honor a scheduled appointment without prior cancellation.
- In the case of a late cancellation or no-show, you will forfeit you interviewing privileges until you write a Letter of Explanation to the employer and submit a copy of this letter to the Career Services office.