The Department of Curriculum and Instruction offers students the ability to pursue a Middle Level Education Certification Program leading to the Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.) with a major in Interdisciplinary Studies. The student picks one of three areas in the MLE Program in which to concentrate.
Below are the BS Degree with 4-8 Certification and ESL Supplement:
- English-Language Arts-Reading/Social Studies (able to teach in either/both fields)
- Mathematics/Science (able to teach in either/both fields)
- Mathematics (able to teach in one field)
It is a field-based program, with students spending extensive time in middle schools. The program is designed to give students the necessary content knowledge and skills and the necessary pedagogical knowledge and skills needed to be an effective middle grades teacher.
To be certified to teach in middle grades in the state of Texas an individual must:
- Possess an undergraduate degree
- Pass the appropriate TExES examination for their content field
- Pass the appropriate TExES Pedagogy and Professional Responsibility examination
- Apply for certification with the Texas State Board of Educator Certification
For more information please call (936) 294-3896