SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY CHAPTER
DELTA TAU ALPHA
NATIONAL AGRICULTURE HONOR SOCIETY
Article I - NameThe name of this Agriculture Honor Society shall be SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY CHAPTER OF DELTA TAU ALPHA.
Article II - Purpose
Article III - MembershipTypes of Membership. There shall be the following types of membership in the SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY CHAPTER OF DELTA TAU ALPHA:
- Active Membership
- Alumni Membership
- Associate Membership
- Honorary Membership
Article IV - Meeting of Members
Types of Meetings. There shall be the following types of meetings in the SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY CHAPTER OF DELTA TAU ALPHA:
Order of Business. The order of business shall be as follows for the SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVESITY CHAPTER OF DELTA TAU ALPAH:
- Regular Chapter Meetings
- Special Meetings
- Call to Order
- Roll Call
- Reading and approval of minutes
- Treasurer's Report
- Committee Reports
- Old Business
- New Business
Article V - Standing CommitteesTypes of Committees. There shall be five (5) Standing Committes for the SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY CHAPTER OF DELTA TAU ALPHA. Special Committees shall be appointed by the President. The five Standing Committees are as follows:
- Fundraising/Activities Committe
- Communications Committee
- Yearbook Committee
- Scholarship Committee
- Outstanding Initiate Award Committee
Article IV OfficersThe officers of the SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY CHAPTER OF DELTA TAU ALPHA shall consist of the folowing:
- Vice President
- Faculty Advisor
Article I - Membership
Section 1. Qualifications for Active Membership. any student receiving instruction in regular courses in technical agriculture may be initiated into membership provided that the student shall have fulfilled the following requirements.
- Completed at least twelve (12) semester hours or its equivalent in agriculture courses, including credit transferred from other colleges and universities.
- Completed at least forty-five (45) semester hours of college courses including credit transferred from other colleges and universities.
- Rank not lower than the highest thirty-five percent of their class in general scholarship, and shall have completed at least three semesters of the college course.
- Any transfer students must have completed at least one semester of study at Sam Huston State University to become eligible for membership.
- Received a favorable vote of at least two-thirds (2/3) of the active members constituting a quorum at a regularly scheduled chapter meeting or a special called meeting. Voting shall be by secret ballot.
- Any name which shall fall to receive sufficient favorable vote of the membership at election shall not be voted on again for a period of at least one (1)month. Members of social organizations and fraternities are eligible for membership except that n o member of Delta Tau Alpha shall be a member of any organization of which the priciples and practices are contrary to the spirit of this organization.
- Shall be of good character and possess definite qualities of leadership, as determined by the local chapter.
- Received approval of the Chapter Faculty Advisor.
- Payment in full of the Initiation Fee before Initiation Ceremony. The Initiation Fee shall be set at a total of $30.00. This amount includes the following:
- Initiation Fee-National Organization - $21.00
- Initiation Fee-Local Chapter - $9.00
Article II - Chapter Officers
Section 1. Election of Officers. Candidates for each office shall be selected and consulted as to their willingness to serve as a Chapter Officer by the Nominating Committee. A slate of nominees will be selected by the Executive Council (advisor and officers) for individual offices for recommendation to the chapter. These nominations will be based upon willingness to serve and responses to questions on the Application for Chapter Officer. Further nominations may be made by the membership from the floor at the time of election. Final vote shall be by secret ballot.
Section 2. Duties of Officers
- President. It shall be the duty of the president to preside at all meetings and functions of the chapter and to provide for safe keeping of the ritual. He/She shall be vested with the powers usually incumbent upon theis office. The President shall advise, suggest procedure, establishresponsibilities and assist all committees to carry out their functions in an efficient manner. The President shall appoint all committees, standing or special. In the absence of the President the next highest officer as listed in the contents shall preside.
- Vice President. It shall be the duty of the Vice President to perform the duties of the President in his or her asence and to act as program chair as well as perform any other duties assigned to him by the President. He/She shall indoctrinate all initiates concerning their obligations and the purposes of this organization.
- Secretary. It shall be the duty of the Secretary to keep a complete and precise record of all proceedings of the chapter meetings, to keep a record of all resident members with their present and permanent addresses and to enter into the meetin g's minutes all those members in attendance at meetings of the chapter, and send to the National Executive Treasurer a list of all new members with their current addresses. The Secretary shall also prepare and submit Chapter Report Forms (Form 40) to the National President within one week of the chapter meeting.
- Treasurer. It shall be the duty of the Treasurer to receive and hold funds of the Chapter and to disburse the same as instructed by the Chapter. He/She shall keep an accurate account of all receipts and expenditures. The Treasurer shall giv e an itemized report of the finacial status of the Chapter at each regular meeting. Before a newly elected Treasurer shall take custody of the Chapter Financial Records, said records shall be audited by a stancing or special committee. A signed statement of the condition of the Financial Records shall be permanently attached in the records when audit is completed.
- Reporter. It shall be the duty of the Reporter to post regularly scheduled and specially called meeting notifications, select photographs and submit publicity or news releases to the Houstonian and other appropriate news media, and correspond with the Alcalde (SHSU Yearbook) staff regarding chapter activities. The Reporter is also expected to chair the Yearbook (Corbus) Committee and coordinate collection of articles, typing, editing, duplication, and assembly of the Chapter Yearbook.
- Chapter Advisor. It shall be the duty of the Chapter Advisor to attend as many meetings and chapter functions as possible. The advisor is responsible for determing eligibility of new members, submiting all necessary paperwork to the National Advisor and Executive Treasurer, providing guidance to members regarding official university policy, and acting as lason between members and the university administration.
Article III - Meetings of MembersSection 1. Regular Chapter Meetings. Regular chapter meetings shall be held on the first and third Monday of each month in the room designated and at the designated hour.Section 2. Special Meetings. Special meetings may be called by the President of the chapter or at the request of one-third (1/3) of the active members as of date. No business shall be transacted at special meetings other than that referred to in the call.
Section 3. Absences of Member from Regular Chapter Meetings and Special Chapter Events. Unnecessary absences of member from Regular Chapter Meetings and Special Chapter Events shall be interpreted as a lack of interest. Each member shall be allo wed two (2) absences, after which they will receive a notice or warning of said absences. The next (third) absence shall result in termination of Delta Tau Alpha Membership, subject ot review by the executive committee. Members will receive an excused a bsence if they notify the advisor or a chapter officer in advance of their inability to attend the meeting or function. Exmples of excused absence include: work schedule conflicts, classes, illness or death in the family, or emergency situations.
Section 4. Quorum. The active members present shall constitue a quorum of over fifty percent (50%) for the transaction of business at any meeting of the chapter, except for the transaction of business at which a different quorum is required speci fically by the Chapter By-Laws.
Parliamentary Procedure. All meetings of the Sam Houston State University Chapter shall be conducted according to rules of parliamentary order as set forth in Robert's Rules of Order.
Section 6. Order of Business.
Section 7. Induction Ceremonies. A special meeting may be called for the execution of the formal induction ceremony. One or more induction ceremonies may be held each year. Each candidate shall be inducted with ritual according to the direction given on the Official Ritual designated by the National Organization of Delat Tau Alpha.
- Call to Order
- Roll Call
- Readings and approval of minutes
- Treasurer's Report
- Committee Reports
- Old Business
- New Business
Section 8. Committees.
There shall be five (5) standing committees active at all times. The committees shall consist of :
Special Committees may be called for or by the President when deemed necessary.
- Fund Raising/Activities Committee: Responsible for organization of fundraising efforts, social events, special projects, and other activities in which the chapter participates.
- Communication Committee: Notify members of meetings and other events by phone one two days prior to the event. With assistance of the secretary, keep accurate list of current active members and phone numbers.
- Yearbook Committee: Responsible for collecting, composing, compiling, editing, and assembly of the Corbus Book. duties should begin well in advance of National Convention.
- Scholarship Committee: When chapter funds allow it, the scholarship committee will review applications and make selection(s) of scholarship recipient(s).
- Outstanding Initiate Awards Committee: Committee members are responsible for determinging which of the semester's initiates have most adequately represented the ideals of Delta Tau Alpha.