SHSU Motto: The measure of a life is its service.
What Does ACE Mean to You?
Being an ACE Community Partner establishes an important link between SHSU, our students and our community. ACE courses allow students to serve as vital members of their communities and provide community partners with assistance in their daily functions or larger project initiatives. Since ACE classes are taught in all six colleges across campus, it is highly likely that there is an ACE class that would be an excellent partner for your organization.
SHSU students have engaged with community partners in a variety of ways, from assisting with basic daily functions of the organization to planning and helping to implement larger campaign initiatives. Some of the specific ways in which SHSU students have assisted in the community include: helping small businesses create business plans and marketing initiatives, tutoring students in local schools, assisting with after school programs, creating learning centers, working with the local animal shelter, hosting an educational petting zoo for local elementary schools, and creating public relations campaigns and public service announcements for non-profit organizations.
If you are interested in becoming a community partner for ACE classes, please feel free to contact any of the Committee Members or the Center for Leadership and Service. You can also send an email to ACE@shsu.edu.
Community Partner Testimonials
Sam Houston has been a saving grace for 21st Century After-School programs. Our centers here in Huntsville work with at-risk students in which we provide: Tutoring, Enrichment, Mentoring and Character building. We promote improvement in Academics, Behavior, Attendance and Promotion Rates to the next grade level. Sam Houston played a huge part this first year by allowing their service project students the opportunity of hands on experience after-school. By having these students come and interact with our elementary students they were able to see the need right here in Huntsville. We were able to serve small group instruction which has led to a great mentorship. ACE helps build community support for all. Thank you for the opportunity to give back my appreciation – Amber Young
Here are just a few of the community partners that have worked with ACE classes. We thank you for your support of SHSU's ACE initiative!
- Boys and Girls Club
- Boy Scouts of America
- City of Huntsville Court-Appointed Child Advocates
- Future Farmers of America & 4-H Clubs Good Shepherd Mission Habitat for Humanity
- Hearts Veterans Museum
- Huntsville Independent School District
- Huntsville Public Library
- Huntsville Youth Soccer Association
- Lions Club
- Literacy Volunteers of America Mainstreet
- M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Relay for Life – American Cancer Society
- Rita B. Huff Animal Shelter Rotary club
- SAAFE House - Shelter for victims of domestic violence Texas Children's Hospital
- Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) Texas Organic Gardens and Farmers Association
- Texas Parks and Wildlife
- The Lexington - Assisted Living Facility The Houston Hispanic Forum United Way
- Walker County Folk Festival Walker County Republican and Democrat Associations
- Walker County Senior Center YMCA