A student has the option of meeting the academic requirements for any degree as outlined in the catalog at the time of admission or of meeting those listed in any later catalog provided the requirements are met not later than six years from the effective date of the selected catalog. The student is responsible for knowledge of the detailed requirements of the degree program selected to include any special requirements of the major and/or minor department.
The specific degree requirements will be listed in the student’s degree plan. A degree plan outlines academic guidelines for a specific degree. Students are encouraged to use the Student Advising and Mentoring Center (SAM Center) for advice on degree plans. It is the responsibility of the student to originate the degree plan within the major department.
The degree program selected at the time of admission from the Apply Texas application to SHSU will be the curriculum on file for students, until the point that a Change of Major/Minor form is completed in the Registrar’s Office (3rd floor – Estill Building).
All degrees contain the following MINIMUM requirements:
- course taken on the campus of SHSU
- courses taken at The University Center
- courses taken at selected off-campus sites
- courses taken via the web from SHSU and ITV courses
- At least 25% of the credit hours required by the degree (e.g., 30 semester credit hours for a 120 credit hour program) of which 24 semester credit hours must be advanced (3000 or 4000-level),
- 12 semester credit hours (SCH) of advanced (3000 or 4000-level) coursework within the major field of study,
- 6 semester credit hours (SCH) of advanced (3000 or 4000-level) coursework within the minor field of study (if applicable).
- SHSU GPA
- Cumulative GPA (SHSU and Transfer)
- SHSU major GPA (some programs require a higher GPA)
- Cumulative Major GPA (SHSU and Transfer)
- SHSU Minor GPA
- Cumulative Minor GPA (SHSU and Transfer)
Total Hours. A minimum of 120 hours total (developmental courses not included) is required of each degree. Some degree programs may require additional hours above the 120 minimum.
Advanced Hours. (300-400 level courses) 42 semester hours of advanced work must be completed for a degree. Courses taken from a community college do not transfer for advanced credit.
Writing Enhanced Courses. All undergraduate students are required to complete at least six writing enhanced courses accumulating a minimum of 18 semester hours toward the completion of a degree. Of these 18 hours, six hours must come from the student’s major field of study, six hours must be completed from English course work, and the remaining six hours may be completed from any academic field of choice.
Minimum Residence. Residency, for the purpose of meeting degree requirements, is defined as courses that require classroom instruction and include:
The following hours must be completed “in residence” to meet degree requirements:
NOTE: Correspondence courses DO NOT meet residency requirements.
Grade Point Average: The minimum GPA requirements for graduation dictate a GPA of at least 2.00 in the following:
Any student holding a baccalaureate degree from Sam Houston State University or any other regionally accredited institution may earn a second baccalaureate degree differing in basic academic subject area and concentration from the first degree by completing the following requirements:
- A minimum of an additional 30 semester credit hours in residence above the total hours required for the first degree, of which 24 must be advanced hours.
- Any additional requirements of the department and college approving the respective degree plan.
- All other University requirements for the degree sought.
Sam Houston State University’s Academic Policy Manual and Student Guidelines provide specific information pertaining to the educational procedures of the University and student conduct. Copies of these publications may be viewed at the Reference Desk in the Newton Gresham Library or online.