Context Clues II
Choose the word that best describes the underlined word.
1. The ghastly face of the dead man floated up from the bottom
of the pool and scared us all.
2. The generous man handed out 20 dollar bills to the homeless
at Christmas time.
3. The boy always minded his mother and father's rules, and they loved their
b. do what he's told
c. never works
4. The smells coming from the kitchen enticed the neighbors
to come over and see what was baking in our oven.
5. We knew to look for the rainbow after the ensuing rains.
6. She has devoted her life to making sure that the children
of her community were fed and had a chance to go to the doctor.
7. The young man frequently reads new books. Yesterday he
checked out five more.
8. The man grew up on a farm and went to school in the rural
community of Marfa.
9. There was much evidence that the burglar had been in their
home because chairs were overturned and many items were broken.
10. The girl was mortified to see that her name was on the
board for talking too much at lunch, and she put her head down on her desk