- Complete a Pre-Admission Content Test (PACT) and submit scores to SHSU Graduate Admissions office. Applications will not be reviewed until a PACT is completed and submitted to SHSU.
- Request a Transcript Evaluation. Send official copies of all transcripts to Molly Doughtie along with a letter stating the teaching field and grade levels of interest. Example: “Please evaluate my transcripts for the grades 4 – 8 Math certification program.”
P.O. Box 2119
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX 77341
You will receive a certification plan for the grade levels and teaching field you indicated based on your transcript evaluation. The plan will list the courses that you will need to complete to become certified.
- Graduate Admissions Application
- Application Fee
- Official transcript from the baccalaureate degree granting institution
- Overall GPA of 2.5 or higher
- For a single field certification, e.g. History, you need at least 24 hours of the teaching field coursework with at least a 2.5 GPA in those 24 hours.
- For the Science Composite, you need coursework from Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Geology. At least 16 hours of the 52 hours must be from one of the sciences, and 12 hours of the 16 must be 300 or 400 level courses. You need at least a 2.5 GPA in those 52 hours.
Note: Applicants should review the eligbility requirements of the Post Baccalaureate Teacher Certification
Fall Term: April 1
Spring Term: November 1
Summer Term: April 1