An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred for admission into the Mathematics program. GPA and GRE scores, however, do not constitute the primary criteria for admission. Based on a review of an applicant's undergraduate transcript, the Department of Mathematics and Statistics may require completion of undergraduate stem courses as a condition for admission.
For full consideration, all applications must include the following:
- Graduate Admissions Application
- Official transcripts
- Official GRE scores
- Three letters of recommendation
For international students, applications must also include the following:
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores (for international students whose first language is not English)*
- Proof of financial support
- A formal transcript evaluation conducted by an independent organization; for more information about the transcript evaluation requirement, including a list of vetted organizations, please contact Professor Ken Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the admission requirements for international students, please visit the Office of International Programs' Prospective Students page.
Application Process Guidelines
Potential graduate students are encouraged to contact Dr. Ken Smith by e-mail prior to applying for graduate studies in Mathematics. Dr. Smith will correspond with potential graduate students and provide some guidance on assistantship support and the application process. In this preliminary conversation, please provide (informal) undergraduate transcripts and make plans to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Formal GRE scores should be sent to Sam Houston. (The ETS code for Sam Houston is 6643.) We will also need letters of recommendation from three of the student’s undergraduate professors.
After sending an inquiry email to Dr. Smith, qualified students will be encouraged to apply to the MS program in Mathematics. Applications to SHSU programs are completed using the web-based ApplyTexas system, which allows applicants to submit many materials online.